New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Question about Sanitizing Dip Tube in Corny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
kimeye01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question about Sanitizing Dip Tube in Corny

Does anyone know how to sanitize the dip tube in a corny keg without using gas?

This is my first time kegging. I haven't filled my Co2 tank yet but want to get my brew out of the fermenter and into my keg so I can start a new batch. The only problem is I'm afraid if I don't get my dip tube sanitized, I'll introduce too much bacteria.

I'm trying to wrench off the connector but it is too rounded to get a grip.

Help, please!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
postal_penguin
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Is the beer going into the fridge right away? If so I don't even bother since the refrigeration will keep any bacterial growth minimal over the course of how long it takes me to finish a keg.

If you are planning on keeping it at room temp or taking a long time to drink the keg, I'd fill the keg with sanitizer and then push down the center pin on the out. It will vent the air and let sanitizer flow up the tube.

Primary: Apfelwein, Raspberry Lambic, Experimental Wheat cider, IPA
Secondary: Empty
Keg 1: Hefe
Keg 2: Irish Stout
Keg 3: Peach Kolsch
Keg 4: Empty
Bottled: Bourbon Vanilla Porter, Chocolate Stout

Old 01-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
suorangeguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Liquid Tube Brush - Draft Cleaning - Kegging

There is this little gadget. Then sanitize with starsan.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3862 Times on 2823 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Yes, when you take the keg apart, by removing the posts, just hold up the diptube to the light and look through it. If it's clean, you can just rinse and sanitize. If it's dirty, use the diptube brush to clean it, then rinse and sanitize. The easiest way to sanitize it is to put it in the keg and pour sanitizer through it, then put the posts back on and cover the keg and then shake the keg and turn it over. That way, it's sanitized inside the diptubes as well as on the outside of the diptubes.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3862 Times on 2823 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal_penguin View Post
Is the beer going into the fridge right away? If so I don't even bother since the refrigeration will keep any bacterial growth minimal over the course of how long it takes me to finish a keg.

If you are planning on keeping it at room temp or taking a long time to drink the keg, I'd fill the keg with sanitizer and then push down the center pin on the out. It will vent the air and let sanitizer flow up the tube.
Sorry, but I'm all "ick" over that. No sanitizing or cleaning? You don't take the posts off of the keg and clean out the gunk in the poppets (a 5 minute job)? Sure, the beer is kept cold but that just makes me feel "yuck" about the beer in it. It's like eating off of dirty dishes, because the plate was kept in the fridge. Maybe it's the girl in me, but I even wash my coffee mugs in the dishwasher.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1686 Times on 1050 Posts
Likes Given: 2454

If you have the same keg as me, rounded (starred) in tube fitting a 7/8" wrench (the round not open end) works. Not a perfect fit but if you press down on the wrench with one hand and give the opposite a good tap with your palm it seems to break lose easily.

Last edited by Dan; 01-22-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: My bad, it's my in tube not out tube. I still think a wrench will work for you

Old 01-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
kimeye01
Recipes 

Default Thanks

I need to get a bigger wrench and give it another try. If that doesn't work, I'll try to force the sanitized water up the tube and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the advice!

Old 01-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
jma99
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Easiest way is to fill half with hot Starsan solution, close keg and shake, tip on side and press center of out stud with screwdriver until foam comes out.

God's own drunk, and a fearless man.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 405

While taking them apart is a good idea it isn't really 100% necessary. Fill the keg to the top, press the poppet down, the liquid inside the keg will come out of hole. You can rinse them this way too after cleaning, run garden hose in, let it fill to top, push in poppet and liquid will flow out. In that case you may need to tilt the keg to keep flow going. When clean/rinse/sani each are finished, press the poppet in again with the keg empty, the liquid in the tube will flow out to the bottom of the keg. Simple

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 01-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You'll want a 12 point socket, or combination wrench for the post. Depending on how much it was tightened down last, you could need to get some extra leverage on the wrench to get the post off.

I would advise getting your CO2 tank filled up before you start. For one thing, you'll want to purge the air from the top of the keg and seal it (seat the o-ring). You need CO2 to do that. For another thing, it's easy to get the solution (StarSan as well as cleaner/PBW) through the dip tube with a little pressure/CO2.

Personally, I clean ever keg when it gets emptied. I do the faucet it was on at the same time. I run PBW through the entire setup (about a gallon of it) and let it soak in the hoses for a while. I then do the same with StarSan solution with a round of rinse water between them. I rinse the keg really well between the PBW and rinse water fills. Doing this with CO2 uses very little IMO. Plus, you can use more pressure to push the PBW through the dip tube to make sure you get it good and clean. Of course, you can also use the dip tube brush, once you get the poppet off, on the inside.

I leave my kegs pressurized after I dump out, or run out from the liquid post, the StarSan. I typically hit them with about 10psi, just to make sure they're sealed and ready for the next fill-up.

If you want a 'cheap' way to use CO2 for this, get a paintball gun bottle and one of the adapters so you can use a normal regulator. Or get one of the regulators made to go onto the paintball bottle. I can get a 20oz bottle filled at the local paintball supply store for $5...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Quick Reply