Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > question about motorizing my mill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
robumba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default question about motorizing my mill

So I decided to motorize my barley crusher, and I've decided to direct-drive it, using a gearmotor. My question relates to the way one connects the shaft of the mill to the shaft of the motor. I see that most people use "lovejoy" connectors with a spider. My question: what is preventing the shafts from just spinning around inside the lovejoy connectors? I already ordered and received the connectors from Grainger - I did not order the ones with a keyway, but the ones I got seem to have one anyway, but no screw to put in there, nor is it clear to me what size screw I would use? Is a keyway necessary anyway?

Any advice appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #2
chambs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What size couplings did you get? according to Grainger "1⁄4 to 1⁄2" coupling hubs have no keyway. Hollow-head set screws." If I remember right the barley crushers have a 3/8" shaft so that side of the coupler should have a set screw. If not...talk to Grainger. When installing the coupler with a set screw just make sure to line up the screw with the flat on the shaft before you tighten it down, and wiggle as you tighten to make sure you see the screw in the middle of the flat.

If your motor shaft is larger than 1/2" and doesn't have a keyway you're gonna need to get creative.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:14 AM   #3
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

the lovejoy couplers come with the screw, you just need to tighten it with an allen wrench.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
robumba
Recipes 

I think I figured out the problem guys. Turns out I never thought to actually stick an allen wrench in the little hole and turn it! That's the screw! Sorry to trouble you with this. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply