New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > question about false bottoms and dip tubes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
1KD1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default question about false bottoms and dip tubes

Hey guys and gals,

I built a three tier brew rig and am slowly working the "kinks" out. My biggest problem right now is the dip tubes that go through the false bottoms of the MT and BK (more specifically, the connection of the dip tube to the side of the keggle).

I have welded 1/2" MIP couplings welded into the keggles. On the inside of the keggle, there is a 1/2" MIP to 3/8" compression adapter. Then the 3/8" SS diptube with a brass ferrel.

My problem starts at the brass ferrel. It seems very difficult to get an airtight seal every time. My wort will drain down to that fitting and then it won't drain down anymore. Obviously, I have to disassemble this fitting every time I brew so I can clean under the false bottom. Should I be replacing the brass ferrel with a new one every time I reassemble the false bottoms?

My HLT has a copper dip tube with a flare fitting that fastens to the 1/2" coupler in keg wall. This unit doesn't get disassembled and it consistently draws all but a Cup of liquid from the bottom of the keg.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I use different dip tubes for the MT and BK? Just buy new ferrels every brew day? Or is this just something that everyone lives with?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 808 Times on 672 Posts

Perhaps replacing the ferrule with a silicone o-ring or two will get you both the tight seal and easy break-down you're looking for...

Cheers!

Old 05-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
1KD1
Recipes 

Dang! I can't believe I hadn't thought of that. I guess now I just need to find some locally (I have a brew day Saturday). Thanks a bunch for the quick reply.

Quick Reply