Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > A question about counterflow chillers...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
Barkingshins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A question about counterflow chillers...

I am currently using a copper immersion chiller but have been looking into purchasing a counterflow chiller to help speed up the cooling process a bit but, there is one thing that I'm unclear about. If hot wort is being fed from the kettle, through the counterflow chiller and into the fermenter, doesn't all the cold break just end up in the fermenter?

I thought part of the motivation behind chilling quickly was to get a good cold break and then somehow seperating as much of it as possible from the wort going into the fermenter. Please clarify this for me.

Thank you.
-Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

yes it does but
a. many ppl report no adverse effect of trub in fermenter
b. if you have a pump you can recirculate hot wort through cfc for few min before directing it to the fermenter (whirpool and wait for trub to settle down), its also the easiest way to sanitize cfc

Old 11-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
cuart682
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polboy View Post
b. if you have a pump you can recirculate hot wort through cfc for few min before directing it to the fermenter (whirpool and wait for trub to settle down), its also the easiest way to sanitize cfc
This is they way i do it circulate through the cfc for the last few min of the boil and also use an ic, when the boil is over start a whirlpool and using both will really speed up the process. When its chilled wait a 20 or so min for everything to settle then pump into fermenter.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingshins View Post
I am currently using a copper immersion chiller but have been looking into purchasing a counterflow chiller to help speed up the cooling process a bit but, there is one thing that I'm unclear about. If hot wort is being fed from the kettle, through the counterflow chiller and into the fermenter, doesn't all the cold break just end up in the fermenter?

I thought part of the motivation behind chilling quickly was to get a good cold break and then somehow seperating as much of it as possible from the wort going into the fermenter. Please clarify this for me.

Thank you.
-Brian
Yep, in my case all of the cold break ends up in the fermenter. That's fine. It'll compact down with the trub, and there is no advantage to removing it.

I've heard from Jamil Zainasheff that hot break could/should be removed but I've never found an effective method for removing hot break besides a whirlpool, so I haven't worried too much about hot break, either.

Quick Reply