The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Question on 55 Gallon Stainless Drums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
TwentyDollarTurkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Question on 55 Gallon Stainless Drums

I've got a line on some 55 gallon stainless steel drums that I am wanting to purchase. Over the next 1-2 years, I want to build an electric brewery with a coworker, with a capacity of 1-1.5 BBL, modeled on "The Electric Brewery".

The specs on the stainless barrels are:

-Were formerly used to transport silver based emulsion (I believe used in photography)

-316 grade stainless steel

-62lbs per cylinder

My plan is to use 3 of these, 1 for HLT, 1 for MLG, and 1 for my brew kettle.

The rest of the plans are in development, and I don't plan on having it operational for at least a year, but think the deal on the barrels is probably too good to pass up, at $160.00 per barrel.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Can you get more? I will take 3. Make sure you get at least a 50amp circuit. You will need two 4500 watt elements or push the limit and get two 5500 wat elements. I built a 30 amp panel and wish I built it for 50 and two elements.

My hop stopper

Old 07-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

With that large of a brewery I'd go with a 50-60A circuit as stated above. Many others have built systems based on barrels and they seem to work fine.

Also, if you don't mind could you share your source? I've been looking for a SS Drum for a reasonable price for a while. Cheers!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 07-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
stevehaun
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

316 ss, at 62 pounds they are likely 16 gauge ss. A great buy fo $160.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

I firmly believe you should get several more of them while you can. Reason? You need fermentation vessels and vessels for aging. Your other choices would be very expensive gear or made of plastic 'stuff'. Do it right while you can.

For your Electric Brewery setup: You can do that without throwing tons of cash at it. Plan it out with the idea of keeping it simple (and safe). "Bling" does not matter when you are brewing. A working system with decent control really does matter.

I posted an updated diagram for such a controller today in another thread. It is based on 2 - 5500W elements in the HLT and BOIL kettles. Bottom line? There is more than one way of doing things. "Bling" is great - but - expensive.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
brewpal
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I use several drums as fermenters. The top was cut off and a coupler welded an inch off the bottom. Lids are food grade plastic drum covers from US Plastics.

After racking, yeast can be harvested by gently rocking the drum to re-suspend yeast in the last few gallons of beer which is then collected.

That volume of beer fermenting requires adequate temp control. It is amazing the heat generated by 50 gal of ale with a generous pitch of yeast. It can run away pretty fast.

My original rig used drums for HLT and the brew kettle. Worked great.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
TwentyDollarTurkey
Recipes 

Sorry I've been so slow to respond to everyone; now that I've got my 3 on order, I'll share the wealth... Some of you may have already found the source by now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1127

I spoke to the guy on the phone, even though they're listed at $175.00, he'll sell them at $160 for 3-9 pcs, he may give further price breaks above 9, I'm not sure.

I'd love to buy twice as many at least right now, but we are in the VERY early stages of planning; space is a constraint right now, as well as money. I just couldn't pass up getting at least enough for the brewhouse itself though.

Thanks for the electrical advice, there's a sticky thread on Kal's site with loads of great information for scaling his system up to 1.5 barrels. I would highly recommend checking it out to anyone going that direction, even if you don't intend to follow his plans.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

TwentyDollarTurkey, your pm is full, wanted to ask you another question.

My hop stopper

Old 07-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
TwentyDollarTurkey
Recipes 

Sorry about that, I can't figure out how to delete PM's from my phone... Had to wait til I could get to a computer.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #10
beeton
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

"-Were formerly used to transport silver based emulsion "

Is this able to be cleaned enough to be food grade?

Quick Reply