Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > QD's Experiences and Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Simphoto02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default QD's Experiences and Opinions

Hey all,

Forum newby and kind of new to HBing. Brewed in college back in the dark ages (mid-late 80's). Now days is so much cooler. Better gadgets and better beer.

Anyway a gadget I need inout on are the Quick Disconnects offered out there.

I love the ones offered by MoreBeer.com. Despite the price I am leaning towards them for my brew kettle, pump and my Therminator.
MoreBeer.com's Stainless Steel ones
I just recently saw the plastic ones from Northern Brewer.
NortherBrewer.com's Plastic ones

The instructions for the Therminator REQUIRE tread tape when using metal threaded connections to help protect the units threads from grinding. I plan to use thread tape with either QD.

Question is what experience is out there with either of these?

Thanks in advance.
P.S. I did see the review on the morebeer.com fittings. that is why I am asking if anybody has used either and with what level of success and satisfaction.

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Good thread on QD's right here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/mcmaster-quick-disconnects-55955/

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Another option is tri-clamp fittings. They are about the same price as the morebeer stainless ones and are bomb proof. Source the adapters from KLG Stainless and the clamps and gaskets from morebeer.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I personally do not have any experience regarding QDs, but I can say that Lonnie made his Brutus 10 using quite a few of the stainless QDs available from MoreBeer and he absolutely swears by them. I know those will for sure by my pick when setting up my rig in the future.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 06-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Simphoto02
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Bobby, I was just looking at those. I am confused though. NOWHERE does it say they are "Food Grade" of "Food Safe" Is just being 303 Stainless okay?

I also like the Tri-Clamp fittings. I know they are used in commercial applications. Are there other sources for them? When i build my AG rig i would like to continue to use what ever I settle on.

So the plastic ones are out?

HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got tired of waiting for our savior to save the economy, so I jumped into all grain, What the hell!!!

Old 06-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yes- tri-clamps are available all over the place. Morebeer has them, Swagman here on HBT sells them, and they are available all over the internet.

KLG stainless is the cheapest though and they are very quality fittings. Look him up on ebay and send him an email with your needs. His prices from his store outside ebay are even better than listed. He is also the cheapest supplier of SS ball valves.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simphoto02 View Post
Bobby, I was just looking at those. I am confused though. NOWHERE does it say they are "Food Grade" of "Food Safe" Is just being 303 Stainless okay?
I found this on the web:

Many types of stainless steel exist. Most are magnetic tools steels known as 400-series stainless steels, which are unsuitable for use in brewing. The type of stainless steel used in brewing and fermentation equipment is the nonmagnetic 300-series.

Several varieties of the 300-series exist. Those most common to brewing are 304 and 316 stainless steel. Kegs are usually made from these materials. Both 304 and 316 have very good corrosion-resistance properties and are easily welded. Other 300-series metals are to be avoided for brewery use, especially 303. The 303 variety has much less corrosion resistance and is much more difficult to weld.

I wouldn't worry too much about "Food Safe". The 303 Stainless Steel quick disconnects will work just fine if you keep them clean and sanitize with a non acidic sanitizer. Corrosion is a problem for 303 Stainless Steel only when used in a heavy salt vapor atmosphere or with high acidity fluids, neighter of which are a factor when homebrewing. IMHO

Guy

Old 06-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 946 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Beats me, notice I was the guy talking about the brass ones from Mcmaster because you can't beat the value for what you get. The amount of brass that would contact wort is so minimal, I can't see paying the extra $25 a set for stainless.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Beats me, notice I was the guy talking about the brass ones from Mcmaster because you can't beat the value for what you get. The amount of brass that would contact wort is so minimal, I can't see paying the extra $25 a set for stainless.
+1 bazillion

Old 06-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll put in another plug for the brass ones from McMaster. Part number are here in Bobby_M's post: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/mcmaster-quick-disconnects-55955/index3.html#post1375704

Another brewer here in town and I have been using these for about a year now with no negative effects. Like Bobby said, the contact time is very minimal and is limited to only when you are transfering the wort/liquor to another vessel. If money were no option I'd spring for the stainless clover QD's, but the brass fittings work great, the price is right and there is no harm to the beer.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Quick Reply