*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pumping wort w/o spigot on kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Tall_Yotie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Pumping wort w/o spigot on kettle

Howdy all!

So I have a counter-flow chiller and march pump, used it once with a great deal of stress. Realized that I need to have the head pressure from the kettle to get the pump to actually work.

I am going to be installing a spigot onto my kettle, but the way timing works this week is that I won't be able to get to it by the time I plan to brew next.

So, is there any way to get the pump to drain my brew kettle without a spigot? I spent way too long last brew session trying to figure this out.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
schroeder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

fill the pump and siphon hose that you wish to use with freshly boiled or distilled water (water with star-san also works) and have the outlet from your pump closed with a valve or clamp on the hose.

This way the pump is pre-primed.

when you are ready to drain your kettle insert the pickup hose all the way down into your kettle. Try to avoid getting too much air in the line when you do this. Turn on your pump and open the pump valve/undo the clamp.

Watch the clear liquid come out of your chiller and let it run off as waste, when you see wort coming out put the end of the outlet hose into your carbouy

This is what I do with my pump. I put a pretty big wire mesh screen on the end of my pickup tube to strain out the hops. I use a little Giant impeller pump rated at 700GPH and run through a plate chiller. Last time I tried this it worked great

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply