Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pump spent grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
freeamerica
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pump spent grain

First post - so new to the forum, but not to brewing.

Currently setting up a new 15 gal all grain brewery in my basement. I've got all of the utilities, including exhaust, figured out but I'm struggling with how to deal with spent grain.

I've got a bad back so I'm trying to set everything up for minimal lifting. I can handle dumping spent grain, but hauling it up a flight of stairs doesn't sound fun. Yes, I could just scoop it into smaller buckets so they aren't too heavy, but why do that when I can add more cool equipment!

I've done lots of searching here and all over the 'net, and can't find anything, but I also can't imagine I'm the first to have this problem...

So if anyone else is using a pump to transfer spent grain, what are you using and how do you have it set up?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
Onkel_Udo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You would have to use something like a "trash pump" and probably flood the the mash tun. I really see it as an overly complex solution to a pretty basic problem.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

get a honda trash pump made for pumping solids http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=trash+pump
or a grinder pump aka muffin muncher made for septic tanks
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_12?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=grinder+pump&sprefix=grinder+pump%2Caps%2 C267&rh=n%3A228013%2Ck%3Agrinder+pump

-=Jason=-

Old 10-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
freeamerica
Recipes 

Didn't think of trash/grinder pumps. Those are a bit overkill, but now that I have the idea, I'm going to research the marine/rv macerator pumps.

Yes, definitely a solution looking for a problem but sometimes that's ok...

I'm automating as much of the brewery as I can. Initially, I will be mostly manual operation, but I will have an industrial process controller installed before long. I have a compost pile and chicken coop just outside the side of the house where the brewery is located. Figured along with eliminating one more thing to lift, it would be pretty cool to just pump spent grain out to the compost pile or into the chicken coop. Press a button and everyone is happy!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Quick Reply