New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > pump and quick disconnect bad combo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
ElevenBrewCo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I need help. Im beyond frustrated with my setup. Chugger pump toldme to get rid of my quick disconnects and get camlocks so i will do that. Where is a good place for my pump. On my set up the inlet is on the left and out on right. Is this a bad spot? Im just getting terribke flow, it trickles out unless im wrong and thats how its suppose to work

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
ElevenBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Heres my setup from a far

Old 03-16-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

why not take the pump and mount it to the side of that middle vertical post, remove the ss head and turn it so the inlet is at the bottom and the outlet if pointing straight up.

-=Jason=-

Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 51

What is the inside diameter of the QD's? IMO, it is best to use nothing less than 1/2" ID anywhere in the pump circuit. This includes any fittings and pickup tubes. Often the ID of a barb fitting will be substantially smaller than the nominal tubing size. This can make a huge difference in performance. It is also beneficial to keep the hoses as short as conveniently possible in order to minimize frictional losses. Many pickup tubes I've seen are only 3/8" OD and something like 1/4" ID. The cross sectional area of 1/2" tubing is about four times more than the cross sectional area of 1/4" tubing.

You can do a simple test and time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket. IIRC, your pump should be able to move something like 8 gpm under ideal conditions and near zero head. You can get that info from the pump specs. You should be able to pump at least 6 or 7 gpm for your test I would think.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
why not take the pump and mount it to the side of that middle vertical post, remove the ss head and turn it so the inlet is at the bottom and the outlet if pointing straight up.

-=Jason=-
I doubt very much that this is the reason for the feeble flow rates. So long as the pump is getting properly primed, the orientation of the inlet/outlets will make little difference IME.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
ElevenBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster

-=Jason=-
I cant rotate the ss head the screws wont mount up. Will this work?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
ElevenBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22
What is the inside diameter of the QD's? IMO, it is best to use nothing less than 1/2" ID anywhere in the pump circuit. This includes any fittings and pickup tubes. Often the ID of a barb fitting will be substantially smaller than the nominal tubing size. This can make a huge difference in performance. It is also beneficial to keep the hoses as short as conveniently possible in order to minimize frictional losses. Many pickup tubes I've seen are only 3/8" OD and something like 1/4" ID. The cross sectional area of 1/2" tubing is about four times more than the cross sectional area of 1/4" tubing.

You can do a simple test and time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket. IIRC, your pump should be able to move something like 8 gpm under ideal conditions and near zero head. You can get that info from the pump specs. You should be able to pump at least 6 or 7 gpm for your test I would think.
My tubes are 1/2 id and 3/4 od. All 1/2 fittings

Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
ElevenBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I take that back for the fittings they are definitely not 1/2 outlet. The pipe thread is but i cant remember what the actual qd size is.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenBrewCo View Post
My tubes are 1/2 id and 3/4 od. All 1/2 fittings

What is the actual ID of the fittings? Normally, 1/2" fittings do not have a full 1/2" inside diameter. That was kinda my main point. IOW, what is the ID of the actual barb, not the nominal size of the fitting. How about the pickup tubes in the converted kegs? Are they a full 1/2" ID. The actual ID is what counts, not the nominal fitting size. There's a big difference.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
Catt22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenBrewCo View Post
I take that back for the fittings they are definitely not 1/2 outlet. The pipe thread is but i cant remember what the actual qd size is.

That is likely your problem right there. Run the timed test as I suggested. It only takes a few minutes and it will reveal a lot.

Quick Reply