PUMP Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hello,

I scored a half completed RIMS system recently and am in the process of fininshing it and making it mine. The guy who started the fabrication ended up purchasing a pump from GRAINGER. The manufacturer is TEEL. It is a magnetic drive pump used for pumping fluids that CANNOT be contaminated (ie beer in my case)...TEEL recommends it be used for alkalines...obviously not food grade, but the guy at Grainger told him it would work fine since the front housing is removable for cleaning (like a MARCH pump), it has no seals that can fail and contaminate the fluid it is pumping. To me it sure sounds like it will do what I need it to do...but I dont know.

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of or used one of these pumps.

Thanks
joe

The exact model # is 1P677A. I never have heard of them either. I disassembled the front housing. I t pretty identical to a march pump. He went with this one to overcome the head pressure (lift) of his system...which I don't know why it is a two tier system with the HLT above the Mash Tun and Kettle. Personally I think it will work,,,just wondering if anyone heard of TEEL.

It appears to be plastic. The pump has a 6 blade pump impeller with a SS screw and plastic wahser holding the 6 blade impeller to the magnet that pulls apart very easy...to reveal a completely enclosed housing...totally seperate fromt he magnet/motor part.

It appears to be plastic. The pump has a 6 blade pump impeller with a SS screw and plastic wahser holding the 6 blade impeller to the magnet that pulls apart very easy...to reveal a completely enclosed housing...totally seperate fromt he magnet/motor part.

Depends on how food grade that plastic is at 180F...

Ask the dude you bought it from, maybe he knows the pump specs

Did a bit of looking around. It seems that your pump had been used by other homebrewers so I think you are okay as long as you use it for lower temps. Before using it for boiling I would make sure it is a high temp compatible plastic like PVDF of polysulfone.

Awesome...I just looked the spec sheet...it is rated for 180*F.

I think I will be good...what do you guys think?

Back