The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > pump motors and bearings.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
FrancisBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default pump motors and bearings.

So, I have a march 809 pump, and I am planning on changing out the bearings. Does anyone know what sizes go into these things? I am fairly certain that it uses a bearing and not a bushing, but I could be wrong (and please, let me know if I am) I could buy a kit or whatever, but I would rather go buy the bearings for a fraction of the cost at an industrial supply or automotive store. I notice that this information is conspicuously hard to find. Even the guy at chugger pumps was evasive.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
luhrks
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You really don't want to try and do that yourself.

Just don't.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
FrancisBrew
Recipes 

So I take it that it is either dangerous or complicated to switch out the bearings? If so, that is fine. I have a friend who is very mechanically experienced and electrically knowledgeble who could do it for me. I just don't want to shell out another hundred plus dollars when I know I can buy a decent bearing for less than twenty. Have you tried this before?

Old 06-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Changing out motor bearings isn't hard you may need an arbor press to do it properly + make sure you use sealed bearings.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
HDIr0n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I would be tempted to send it back to March so it might have a warranty. Not sure though if they do that though.

My Brutus 20 build

My Brutus/1550 Failed build

“Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."

– David Wallace

Old 06-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Pretty sure it uses a bushing

edit: now after searching, I'm not sure. Just seem to remember that was one of the differences between the pumps I was considering. Walter at March Pumps is active on here and would answer this for sure. I did find this in a quick google search.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/litt...-pumps-268504/

Old 06-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
FrancisBrew
Recipes 

@BeaksnBeer-Okay, my friend works at a machine shop so he would have access to a press like that (I assume). Have you done this? If so do you happen to remmeber the bearing number/size? I was planning on using a rubber sealed bearing. I was told the metal shielded variety do not make a complete seal and who wants to drink greasy beer......not me.

Not unless there is nothing else

Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
FrancisBrew
Recipes 

@mpcluever After checking that out it seems to me that this has to use a ball bearing because of the whole 'carbon sleeves release free radicals with wear' thing. Thank you for helping me clarify that!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 484 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisBrew View Post
@BeaksnBeer-Okay, my friend works at a machine shop so he would have access to a press like that (I assume). Have you done this? If so do you happen to remmeber the bearing number/size? I was planning on using a rubber sealed bearing. I was told the metal shielded variety do not make a complete seal and who wants to drink greasy beer......not me.

Not unless there is nothing else
Actually, the sealed bearing prevent grease/oil from getting into the windings and shorting out the motor. I replace motor and pump bearings at work been doing this for 20+. The bearing designation will be on the bearing. (outer race or the seal surface)

Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Actually, a sealed bearing keeps contaminants out of the bearings. If the oil runs out of them, they have failed. They're oiled by pulling a vacuum on the seal and drawing the oil into the bearing.

OP. There was someone else on the forum that tried to change out the bearings. He has a few pictures or a vid on it. He sent it back to the factory to fix what he fixed.

Quick Reply