Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pump and filtering break material

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Pump and filtering break material

Just picked up a March Pump and am going to add it to my single vessel BIAB setup. I'll primarily be using it to recirc during the mash and chilling. I'll probably end up using hop sacks for my hop additions, but what about the break material? BIAB tends to have a bit more break material than standard processes. Should I do something to try and filter out the break so it doesn't cause any issues with the pump? I've never used one before, so I don't know how it will affect the performance and cleaning of the pump. What does everyone else here do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

I don't do BIAB but the things that clog my pump are mostly whole hops/fresh hops and chunks of stuff like orange peel. I haven't had it clog from break material.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
CadKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

You wont have any trouble with the cold break. I occasionally have trouble with the late addition hops but i've found that if I choke off the stream to about halfway or less then I can avoid pulling in most of the pellets. Once they've had a chance to soften up, I have no problems with the pellets either.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
HossTheGreat
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I've never used a pump before so I didn't know if you had to be careful with them gumming up like you so with plate chillers.

Quick Reply