Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pump with cooler MT and stainless braid?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
rack04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Pump with cooler MT and stainless braid?

I'd like the ability to vorlauf and transfer wort out of my cooler MT with stainless steel braid using a March 809 pump. Is this something that is typically done or is this reserved for those how have a rigid mainfold or false bottoms? I typically batch sparge. The issues I can think of are:

1) Collapsing the braid
2) Channeling thus reducing mash efficiency
3) Stuck sparges

I plan on threading the stainless steel braid with a stainless steel compression spring to reduce the likelihood of collapsing the braid. The other two I believe are related to controlling the flow out of the mash tun. To address this, I plan on installing a ball valve on the outlet port of the pump that will allow me to modulate the flow.

Am I missing anything?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
bja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts

1) The spring won't let the braid collapse.

2) You batch sparge. Who cares about channeling?

3) Start out slow, it should be fine.

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply