Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Proud owner of a Chugger pump, but I don't know what the hell to do with it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
smack2000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2000 View Post
Thanks for this helpful post. I was putting together my order today to BobbyM for a pump and fittings, so I'm thinking about all of this. So you put elbow barbs on both ends of the hoses? I would think you wouldn't want them on the pump ends. Can you explain?
Sorry, I didn't catch your explanation of the pump end, but now I see it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't catch your explanation of the pump end, but now I see it.
Yeah, that's actually why I was able to go back and order a few things from BobbyM. I'd originally had elbow barbs on all my connections, and only two hoses, since I hadn't taken into account potentially recirculating the chilled wort back into the BK now that I've got a CFC, to faster cool the entire batch. That's the only time when I'll need three hoses. I'm still not sure if I'll always recirculate that way, but it gave me an excuse to pickup a third hose and make one without an elbow at the pump inlet, after worrying about priming issues.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to package something like an "add a pump" kit? I'm thinking pump, ball valve, camlock pairs on the in/out ports, silicone tubing and finally the terminations on each end of the tubing (camlock BL kits). The only thing you'd have to do is make sure your vessels have a cam A or F already.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Bzzzzz. Bzzzzz. Winner!

Only BobbyM would think like that.

But, then, only BobbyM puts together just what we need putting our breweries together.

I should be placing an order with you next Friday.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to package something like an "add a pump" kit? I'm thinking pump, ball valve, camlock pairs on the in/out ports, silicone tubing and finally the terminations on each end of the tubing (camlock BL kits). The only thing you'd have to do is make sure your vessels have a cam A or F already.
I like it! The only variable people would have to figure out is the tubing length, since that's kinda setup-dependent, but otherwise very nice. Or maybe it would just be easier to include a bulk length of tubing (10 feet?) and let them cut it to their specifications. You could even include an option to add the number of cam A/F to the kit that people would need. Maybe include some hose clamps as well, or have the option to add some, depending on what people were already using for their setup.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #16
smack2000
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I would buy this kit immediately.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
Harrington
Recipes 

Quote:
I would buy this kit immediately.
I second this

Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #18
Broham1
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Excellent idea, and maybe with an add-on option for a bleeder valve.

I got the parts for one, but after eliminating all the elbows on my pump fittings I may not need it. We'll see on Saturday.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #19
natewv
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Good idea, I'd also offer it without the pump, if that made sense. Like in my case I have the pump but no totally clear idea of what I need to do to most effectively do it.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Basically my add-a-pump kit would look like this:
(1) Inline SS head Chugger pump ($140)

(1) Type A camlock male on pump input ($4)

(1) 2pc SS ball valve for "out" port of the pump to control flow speed ($13)

(1) Type F camlock male for the output of the pump valve ($4)

(10) Feet of 1/2" ID ultraclear, high temp silicone tubing $24

(4) Type BigC barbed Female camlocks for each end of tubing $36

(4) SS hose clamps $7.40

Of course, you'll need either camlock type As or Fs on any vessel you want to pump from or to.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply