Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Proud owner of a Chugger pump, but I don't know what the hell to do with it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
natewv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Proud owner of a Chugger pump, but I don't know what the hell to do with it!

So I got a pump and can't seem to find anything on here or google that gives me an overview of where and how exactly I would use it in my brew day. Also, having only 1 pump, where it is most useful and/or less of a necessity. Additionally, I'm not sure exactly what additional components I need (tubing, disconnects) to use it.

My MT cooler and BK have ball valves, my HLT does not, but I could drill one. What do I do now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

search for "march pump connections"....its the same fittings.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
BadWolfBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pay careful attention to where it and the inlet / outlet are located. Outlet as 12 oclock, and inlet at 6 'oclock. Also, make sure the inlet isn't restricted, i.e., no elbows within a couple inches. These will help prevent priming issues, which suck. There's plenty of threads devoted to this topic.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

If you don't know how to use a pump with your system, you probably don't need a pump yet. Usually when people buy a pump it's because they're tired of moving water/wort manually. Brew more beer and you'll figure out where you want it in your system. (also there's millions of pictures and examples of how to use a pump both here and on Google)

Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
natewv
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcluever View Post
If you don't know how to use a pump with your system, you probably don't need a pump yet. Usually when people buy a pump it's because they're tired of moving water/wort manually. Brew more beer and you'll figure out where you want it in your system. (also there's millions of pictures and examples of how to use a pump both here and on Google)
I've only been brewing all grain for a year or so, so I'm by no means an expert, but of course I don't want to move wort/water manually. I understand what a pump is for. I'm looking for specifics. number of disconnects I'll need, if I need to drill a hole for a valve in my HLT, if I should begin fly sparging now that I have a pump, if I might want to upgrade my chilling procedure, specifically what kinds of disconnects I need, etc. Trust me, I've read a dozen threads here and tried Google.

I guess I don't appreciate how hard it is to express a bit of self-depreciation over the internet, and maybe I could have provided more detail as to my experience, but give me a break. In the amount of time it took you to sound superior, you could have maybe tried to help me by checking out google, etc (i tried) or just moved on to something else.

I'm sorry to sound disrespectful, I just get responses like this far too often and I wonder why people even bother?

/end rant, back to my stir plate build...
Old 01-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I'll be picking up a pump soon. I'll use to move water from my HLT to my MT and to move wort from my MT to my BK. everything is on one level so, unless I hump heavy pots around, the pump is for ease of use and SAFETY!

Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 AM   #7
Durhamite
Vendor, woodworker, BREWER!!!
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 20

*edited*

Nevermind.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #8
mpcluever
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Sorry, didn't intend to sound "superior", what I meant was, you're already brewing and it must be working for you. Tons of people brew and don't use a pump at all. Look at your processes and anywhere you're moving liquid, ask yourself if using a pump there would make things easier. There's a lot of quick connects out there. Check out cam locks (my personal favorite). Specific questions will get you the best answers.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

I'm in the process of setting up something similar. For connections, there are a couple of different ways to go about it, but I decided to go with camlock quick disconnects. Take my advice and go with BobbyM's products. I ordered about half mine before he came out with the new stuff, so the other half are from him, and are much easier (note, it looks like he's down for a few days catching up from the holiday rush, but if you aren't in a hurry, they're worth the wait).

For tubing, you'll need enough silicone to reach to your various implements. I'm planning on at most going from my BK to pump, pump to chiller, chiller back to BK, so I needed three sections of tubing. With the camlocks I can unhook the tubing and go between MT, BK, and HLT as well. For camlocks, I put elbow barbs and type B camlocks on all the hoses (BobbyM's elbow barbs for hoses are great), with the exception of the hose going into the input of the pump. On that hose, I went the BobbyM's "Big C" camlock with the wide hose barb on the end going to the pump (to hopefully cut down on priming problems), and elbow/type B on the other end of the hose.

For the rest of the connections, I've got type F camlocks screwed into ball valves on all my vessels. On the pump, I've got a center inlet so I've got an adaptor to cut down to 1/2" and then a type F without a ball valve. On the outlet, for the time being I've just got a ball valve to regulate flow and a type F camlock, and so far I haven't had any trouble with priming, but if I do I may have to change that around to get the air out.

The rest of your questions are really up to you. I'm upgrading my chilling (IC to CFC) since I've got the pump. I've got coolers for my MT and HLT, so I've already installed valves in them. For the time being I'm going to continue batch sparging, since all my vessels are on the same level, but may think about upgrading to fly if I decide to add a level so I can gravity transfer one vessel. A second pump would make fly sparging easier on a single level, but I'm not quite there yet.

Oh, I also stole this idea and put my pump in a toolbox. I also got a wireless remote for the pump power, and, of course, and GFCI converter for plugging it in. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
smack2000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikpete18 View Post
I'm in the process of setting up something similar. For connections, there are a couple of different ways to go about it, but I decided to go with camlock quick disconnects. Take my advice and go with BobbyM's products. I ordered about half mine before he came out with the new stuff, so the other half are from him, and are much easier (note, it looks like he's down for a few days catching up from the holiday rush, but if you aren't in a hurry, they're worth the wait).

For tubing, you'll need enough silicone to reach to your various implements. I'm planning on at most going from my BK to pump, pump to chiller, chiller back to BK, so I needed three sections of tubing. With the camlocks I can unhook the tubing and go between MT, BK, and HLT as well. For camlocks, I put elbow barbs and type B camlocks on all the hoses (BobbyM's elbow barbs for hoses are great), with the exception of the hose going into the input of the pump. On that hose, I went the BobbyM's "Big C" camlock with the wide hose barb on the end going to the pump (to hopefully cut down on priming problems), and elbow/type B on the other end of the hose.

For the rest of the connections, I've got type F camlocks screwed into ball valves on all my vessels. On the pump, I've got a center inlet so I've got an adaptor to cut down to 1/2" and then a type F without a ball valve. On the outlet, for the time being I've just got a ball valve to regulate flow and a type F camlock, and so far I haven't had any trouble with priming, but if I do I may have to change that around to get the air out.

The rest of your questions are really up to you. I'm upgrading my chilling (IC to CFC) since I've got the pump. I've got coolers for my MT and HLT, so I've already installed valves in them. For the time being I'm going to continue batch sparging, since all my vessels are on the same level, but may think about upgrading to fly if I decide to add a level so I can gravity transfer one vessel. A second pump would make fly sparging easier on a single level, but I'm not quite there yet.

Oh, I also stole this idea and put my pump in a toolbox. I also got a wireless remote for the pump power, and, of course, and GFCI converter for plugging it in. Good luck!
Thanks for this helpful post. I was putting together my order today to BobbyM for a pump and fittings, so I'm thinking about all of this. So you put elbow barbs on both ends of the hoses? I would think you wouldn't want them on the pump ends. Can you explain?

Quick Reply