Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Propane tank froze regulator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2008, 03:18 AM   #11
Malticulous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I haven't used a propane burner much, but I use a propane torch at work. I just torch the tank now and then and pressure is back.
The tank will freeze over easy when it's cool outside and I'm using it at maximum--and that's a 9 gal. tank.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Last edited by Malticulous; 10-15-2008 at 03:24 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 03:24 AM   #12
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It was probably just overfilled, no need to worry. It will be fine once the level goes down. Propane is cold after all.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:26 AM   #13
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Propane is ambient temp. The pressure change when releasing it will drop it's temp.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:02 AM   #14
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it makes a difference it was probably around 48º - 50º when I had it filled and closer to 58º-60º when I was starting to use it.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:48 AM   #15
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Didn't they add the newer valves with a float to prevent overfilling the bottles a couple years ago?
A new 20# valve/float will only hold 4 plus not a full 5 gallons propane.
Charge the same price filling a 20# with less propane means more dollar refill profits.

If you have the proper fittings inverting the larger overfilled bottle and drain off a gallon or more into the smaller bottle that is in its normal position. Tank to tank fittings with the proper short hose will do. Open the vent valve on the smaller bottle being filled.
This way you'll have gas flow thru the regulator instead of liquid from the larger bottle preventing freezing of the regulator.
If your pulling a high volume of gas feeding many large burners at once the regulator may still freeze up even under a gas discharge condition depending on the air temps your working at.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 10-15-2008 at 06:11 AM.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
Didn't they add the newer valves with a float to prevent overfilling the bottles a couple years ago?
I have to assume this tank is at least 10 - 15 years old.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The age of the tank does not matter unless you still kave the old style valve on top which can allow for a overfill. I'm surprised they would fill a bottle with the older style valve, I believe this was a EPA or Federal law that was passed? Those new replacement valves limit how much of a fill you can get at least on those 20# bottles. A float / cut off valve is added I was told by a Blue Rino driver and they only fill between 4 and 4 1/4 gallons in those 5 gallon or 20# bottles. Strange you still get charged the same amount of money vs those older bottles that were filled a full 5 gallons. Must add that propane prices per/gallon are crazy these days and may get worse. My bottles are for the BBQ only, brewing will be with twin 45-5,500 watt elements run on 240 volt for heating. No refill or running out of propane mid brewing besides the price they are asking and driving around for refills. JMO on how i'll heat my brewing system, one less problem in the future brewing process.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 10-15-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #18
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I believe MikeFlynn had the same problem kilted. I suggested he turn the burner onto the tank to warm it up.

You're right beemer, there was a law passed and all those old tanks without the overfill shouldn't be refilled. The older style has a valve knob that looks like a star, whereas the new ones have a valve knob that looks like a triangle with the corners cut off.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 10-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #19
Kilgore_Trout
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz View Post
Yeah, I've heard about that happening if you have too many ports that are pulling too much propane from the tank. I don't exactly understand it. But hope that helps you.
The propane in that tank is compressed into liquid form. When you release it, it expands into a gas. This is the basic principle for Air conditioners and refrigerators, and propane makes a good cheap refrigerant! The tank is GOING to get cold if you're drawing a lot from it, depending on the amount being drawn, the size of the valve, and the conditions you're in (humidity, ambient temp) it may ice up. Even with a small burner the tank will get cold and covered in condensation after a bit.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #20
mmb
FNG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3151 Times on 3058 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
You're right beemer, there was a law passed and all those old tanks without the overfill shouldn't be refilled. The older style has a valve knob that looks like a star, whereas the new ones have a valve knob that looks like a triangle with the corners cut off.
AFAIK, they can still be refilled for select purposes. My cousin gets his refilled for torches he uses in his paving business.

Quick Reply