Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Propane tank filled, now it won't work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #11
anojones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have this problem from time to time, it seems to have to do with the safety device in the tank valve that shuts down the flow of gas if there is a leak (such as a hose rupture). The tank seems to detect a leak and won't let gas flow. This is why you turn on the tank before turning on the other valve. Sometimes it just takes messing with turning the tank valve and hose valve off and on a couple of times.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #12
GoatFarmersInternational
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba
Here is the trick I learned. It seems to work more often with the type of supply hose where the regulator is at non-tank end of the hose. Make sure the valve on the hose is shut. Attach the assembly to the tank and open the valve ONLY on the tank. NOW WAIT for a minute, good time for a sip of beer. After your sip or two of beer, NOW open the tubing valve and the gas should flow. If still a no go, turn off the tank, open the valve at the other end to bleed any gas out. Undo do everthing, close the valve, reassemble and try again, this time have a few more sips of beer before tyring to light.
Hmm, that is interesting. I'll be doing that from now on out, hopefully that'll be all I need to do.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #13
GoatFarmersInternational
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill
did you try http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/equilibrate ?

Edit: and if you are looking for fun vocabulary words, you should look up catamite. I love that word, because if somebody p!sses you off, you can call them a catamite to their face, and if you say it in a nice tone, they'll think that you are giving them a complement or something.
(example)
"Say, what are you, Prof. Harper's catamite or something?"
oh, and dictionary.com's definition on this one is pretty bland, nothing like the OED if I recall...

Last edited by GoatFarmersInternational; 06-01-2007 at 09:42 PM.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:13 AM   #14
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a wonky Rhino tank that doesn't like to dispense propane because of the stupid safety feature. Here's what I do to get it to work correctly: unhook yonder hose, bang it on the ground once robustly, then faine to hook the tanke back up to dispenfer hose and turne the gas on slowley.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 06-02-2007, 01:39 AM   #15
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The valve has a ball check valve inside it.....if your regulator is turned up and you just open the valve on the tank it pushes that ball up and blocks the flow. (Safty Feature incase your hose blows on the tank side of the regulator)
If this happens turn bottle off, back the regulator all the way down then open the tank back up, and adjust the regulator back down again until you hear the flow of gas coming out.......

Dirt dobbers love to build nest in hoses and stuff too keep them wrapped with tape or hooked up if stored outside

Old 06-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #16
D*Bo
Recipes 

Are you talking about mud daubers? Like the wasp, or something else?

Drinking Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Dry Mead)
Up NextScottish ale and Dopple Bock

Always ready for the wack snack attack, I carry sandwiches around in a straight edge style JanSports backpack.

Support your local businesses

Old 06-05-2007, 01:23 AM   #17
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ya, Mud dobbers, Thats what I have always called them, Seems like they love to build nest in my burner assembly and inside my hose. They are a pain sometimes.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
use2play
Recipes 

Default propane tank LOCKED

This is the second propane tank from COSTCO to exhibit this problem...FLAME KING MAX brand. First one couldn't be open to be filled, so I returned it. This was working fine until grill serviceman tightened it and now it's locked! when the top valve is tightened to the right to shut off the tank, it appears to have locked up-- I can't get it opened again with strongman neighbor helping! What could be happening? It's as if there is a lock setting or something-- called company naturally they never had of the problem-- suggest I return to Costco for a new one ( empty of course)-- there is some screw holding the handle- and of corse the side pressure release screw-- can't figure out what else to use - except to let noisy teenager band on it with sledgehammer!

Old 11-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
myjcorp2
Recipes 

Default Just filled propane tank and now it wont work

Old 11-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #20
harriss
Recipes 

Default possible fix

Ive had the same problem on my grill. Open the valve on the tank, then start the grill on LOW. If started on high, the safty vale is tripped because it thinks there is a leak.

Quick Reply