Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Propane tank filled, now it won't work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
GoatFarmersInternational
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Propane tank filled, now it won't work?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid problem, but I've always used charcoal for the BBQ and only recently started using propane for brewing and so I don't really know anything about using it.

Here is the problem: I just had my tank refilled, and now when I attach it to my turkey fryer and open both of the valves (like normal), no gas comes out...

I am wondering if maybe I accidentally tripped some safety feature? Or maybe it has something to do with the little valve that the guy who filled it turns with a screwdriver - did he forget to turn it back to where it is supposed to be or turn it to the wrong place or something? I don't even know what that valve is for, or even if it is a valve.

Sorry to be such a propane noob, any help is greatly appreciated (especially because I am planning on brewing this afternoon!).

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Make sure that the valve on the fryer is CLOSED before opening the tank. That's all I can think of.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
GoatFarmersInternational
Recipes 

well, I guess I figured it out... I tightened that side valve thing with a screwdriver and hooked things back up and now it is working. So I guess that was the problem (?)

Thanks, and hopefully I won't run into the same issue when I go to heat my sparge water.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Can you post a picture of your tank/valve and in hopes that it might help the next person searching for this?

Its Friday, your tank is full, enjoy a homebrew and make some more!

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Old 06-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
GoatFarmersInternational
Recipes 

Here is the picture (the really small red writing says "all the way closed"

So, if indeed that was the problem, this is how it is fixed: The little valve thing was tightened with a screwdriver.

If anybody else ever has this same problem, I hope that this helps, and I hope that knowing that I, too, am an idiot also helps.
And thanks FlyGuy and Harv for the responses. I lift my glass of homebrew to you.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
GoatFarmersInternational
Recipes 

So, that little valve (or whatever) thing may not have actually been the problem, because it wouldn't start (at first) when I started to heat my sparge water just moments ago. I did manage to get going after unhooking my turkey fryer and then hooking it up again, though. I am wondering if I may have accidentally tripped a safety feature? I am using it outside, and it is only partially shaded (I have no idea if a hot ambient temperature makes any difference, I just thought that I would mention it. Oh, and I think that I do follow the correct procedure for opening/closing the valves - the propane tank is the first on and off).

So I am still a little puzzled, but at least everything is working (for now)

Old 06-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You might not have had it screwed on tight enough. Some of them have a safety in the valve which won't let propane out unless it is attached to a hose.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #8
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Here is the trick I learned. It seems to work more often with the type of supply hose where the regulator is at non-tank end of the hose. Make sure the valve on the hose is shut. Attach the assembly to the tank and open the valve ONLY on the tank. NOW WAIT for a minute, good time for a sip of beer. After your sip or two of beer, NOW open the tubing valve and the gas should flow. If still a no go, turn off the tank, open the valve at the other end to bleed any gas out. Undo do everthing, close the valve, reassemble and try again, this time have a few more sips of beer before tyring to light.

I had an outdoor cooker that I originally bought for outdoor wokery cooking and large paella making that was always giving me just this kind of fits. Eventually I read on the web the above tip from someone who had a similar stove. This person said that it had something to do with letting the pressure in the supply hose equilibrate before opening the valve.

I don't have this problem with my turkey fryer where the regulator is at the end that attaches to the tank like this - at least I haven't run into it yet.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #9
GoatFarmersInternational
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo
You might not have had it screwed on tight enough. Some of them have a safety in the valve which won't let propane out unless it is attached to a hose.
The thought had crossed my mind, except that between heating water for the mash (after I got it to work) and heating water for the sparge (when it stopped working again for a moment) I didn't touch the whole setup.

At any rate, it's boiling now, so all is well that ends well. Until next time, at least.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Shucks, I thought I had learned a new word.

But, NOOOO. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Specia...ilibrate&go=Go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special...ilibrate&go=Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Quick Reply