Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Propane Safety and Tips on Basic Brewing Podcast.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #21
mew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

James read it on the latest episode!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #22
bscuderi
Recipes 

Default Propane burner question!

I am using just a 5 gallon stainless steel stock pot for my brewing. My kitchen burner takes forever to get me to a boil! And i mean forever like 3 hours to bring 3 gal to a boil. I have one of those glass top kitchen burners. I happen to own a turkey fryer and thought I would use it's burner to get my homebrew going quicker. Well I hooked er up outside and started to bring my water to a boil (I had to have the gas setting pretty low to keep the flames from shooting up the sides of my brewpot as much as possible!) Well I was about 10 or 15 minutes in and about 120 degrees but there seemed to be alot of black smoke and fumes coming from the pot and underneath the burner little black soot was falling to the ground. I turned the burner off dumped out my water and inspected my pot the bottom was covered in a black soot! I washed the pot off in my sink and inevitably threw the rag away i used to clean it because it became so black from the flakey soot! All in all most all of it came off the bottom of my pot and we looked as good as new but made one hell of a mess! Now Im afraid to use the propane burner when through all the discussions on here seems the way to go! I can't find any other topics regarding anyone having this problem! I'm afraid that this was the bottom of my pan burning or scorching off. This seems strange though as it seems there are alot of people on here using some pretty powerful burners. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:19 AM   #23
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3148 Times on 3056 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Sounds like the air/gas mix is off. You ether need to open the carb to allow more O2, close the carb or clean the burner so that the orifices are working properly and you get a good blue flame.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:33 AM   #24
bscuderi
Recipes 

Thanks! Now I feel retarded I was in such a hurry to get brewing I didnt even notice I had an orange flame. I took the burner apart and blew compressed air through the venturi and there was a spider egg sack clogging my airflow. Works very well now thanks for the help

Old 09-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #25
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Umm, after listening for quite a while with some confusion, I realized your link is wrong Revvy....

This is the podcast with Bruce:
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr01-08-09propane.mp3

Thanks for the post though, listening to the propane podcast now!

You linked to the one from the week before, about making barleywine.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #26
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I'll definitely keep brewing in my garage in the winters... I've got a couple things going in my favor though: I've got a detached garage (if the absolute worst happened, I'd burn down the garage, not the house), and the garage is many years old and drafty as all get out. I don't even really need to crack open the garage door to ensure decent air flow.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #27
herc1354
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
Sounds like the air/gas mix is off. You ether need to open the carb to allow more O2, close the carb or clean the burner so that the orifices are working properly and you get a good blue flame.

That is exactly what happened, seems to me like these propane turkey friers are designed to operate wide open, however....the air shutter on most should be full open. Orang flames mean improper combustion which is bad.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Quick Reply