Propane burner igniter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayfaustini

Reaction score
I have a electronic igniter installed on my propane burner. The igniter provides a spark, but I can seem to get it to ignite the propane. Can anyone provide any insight to the proper way to place the sparking wire? Thanks.

I'm considering adding an igniter to my brew stand. Did you ever get your igniter to work? Do you have pictures of how you got it to work and what kind of igniter you used? Thanks!

Not clear if you are looking for an automated solution or just an easier way to manually light your burner.

But if you want an easier way to manually light your burner, this is what I use:
Bernzomatic TS4000 Trigger Start Torch
$35 at amazon or lowes

It is of course used with a disposable propane cylinder.
You light the torch first and then use the flame to light the burner.
Very easy, very dependable.

Also can be used to solder copper pipe and silver solder stainless steel.

I'm looking for more of an automated solution for my single tiered HERMS rig that I'm building. I took a push button, battery powered igniter out of a grill at a scrap yard. You can buy them at Lowes-Depot for $25 or $30. I have considered mounting the electrode through the heat shield around my burner. Something else I thought about that I would love to do is find a gas valve / knob like you'd see on a kitchen stove, complete with a relay that would generate a spark automatically when you push the knob, or turn it to the light position. But I don't know where to begin to look for something like that. I thought about an appliance service center, but I imagine all they would carry is valves for low pressure propane or natural gas. My burner runs off a 30 PSI regulator. Does anyone have a suggestion of where to look for something like that?

One thing I am kinda wondering about is: will a sparking igniter trip my GFCI breaker? I'm thinking no, since the current generated by the igniter should be returning to the igniter itself, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Back