The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Project: Beer Station

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Project: Beer Station

I'm starting the planning early, so this is where it begins. After littering our basement with case upon case of beer, I think I've convinced the wife (not intentionally, but who am I to complain?) to back me on a keg station setup. Earlier this year, we renovated the basement, and put a couple of wing walls at one end of the room:

On the right, we put cabinetry, a counter and space for the wine fridge:

It's an old photo; the counter's on there now. On the left, it's still open, though I was smart enough to install several elec receps (one of them switched ). Check out that fiiiiine drywall job, baby:

We've talked it over and wifey supports my ambitions to put a kegging setup there, so I'm thinking we'll use the same cabinetry (more storage for glasses and stuff is never bad) and build it in. I'm also thinking that I'd like to keep my mini beer fridge there for keeping bottles chilled. So...suggestions are needed. Should I install wall cabinets and permanently install a tap tower? That's where I'm leaning right now...perhaps putting a chest freezer under a counter with a temp regulator, and just sliding it out when I need to exchange kegs or mess with anything. Is this foolish? I've never kegged, but I'm learning what I need to get started. Any suggestions will be appreciated!! I'm excited as hell...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Dude, that whole open side there is wide open to some aweome ideas. It all depends on how long you want to live there (obviously fairly long if you renovated it and aren't planning to move soon) and how permanent you really want your structure to be.

You'd really have to give us the inner dimension of that room for some starters. Is it wide enough (short wall to the outside wall) for a good size chest freezer? Is it deep enough (how deep are them wing walls) for a chest freezer?

Do you want a chest freezer that takes up more space width wise, or do you want a sanyo type that you have to jam kegs in through the door? I'd be concerned a little about a pull out freezer with that floor, but obviously things can be worked around that little bit.

Personally, if I were to do a setup in your area, I would mount a sanyo in the middle with shelving on both sides, or 2 sanyos (1 for kegs, another for bottles) with some sort of cabinetry on side to hold important things.

Another overhead cabinet with glass doors would hold all the beer glasses for different styles of brew that may be on tap.

That's just me though.

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-p...ew-day-195534/

Old 10-31-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

One important question comes to mind: how many kegs are you looking to serve? The Sanyo 4912 fridges that so many people (including myself) use look like they'd be perfect match for the rest of your decor - silver and black. But of course that limits you to two kegs.

If I were in your shoes I think I'd be trying to go the chest freezer route to accommodate at least 4 or so kegs just to be safe - 2 kegs isn't bad, but I sure wouldn't mind being able to fit more.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts

Yeah, the chest freezer seems like the best choice, and Sam's Club has them for super-duper cheap. Then again, they're not very pretty compared to the Sanyo, so I'm torn. The easiest route seems like it would be to get a chest freezer, stick it in the corner, mount a tap tower directly to the top of it, and then I can take it with me when we eventually move...no time soon, but eventually.

So I guess...if I'm gonna build it in, I wanna go with a Sanyo fridge.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-31-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
FSR402

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I would go with the chest freezer and a tower out the top. If you have the room maybe a cabnet on one side or even both depending on size of room and freezer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Old 10-31-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I would also go with the chest freezer, not because having more beer on tap is great, it is, but because you can use the extra space to lager. It will let you take your brewing to the next level.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 10-31-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I can't see the pics (Photobucket is blocked at work), but have you considered building out a cold box? I'm debating, when it's time to build myself a nice bar, either going the chest freezer or the cold box route. The 'box would give you more flexibility to build it out however you wanted, and if you do it right (get it all nice and tight), it shouldn't be much less efficient than a chest-freezer setup.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

All I can say is you basement is about 50 the total floor areas of my house!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
All I can say is you basement is about 50 the total floor areas of my house!
I'm sure 50 times more sunny as well. How is that possible?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 10-31-2007, 08:19 PM   #10
jdoiv

Recipes 

I would consider a kegerator setup like a Danbury or True. They are a little bigger than the Sanyo and can hold either 3 kegs +CO2 or 4 kegs with the CO2 exterior (maybe inside the bottom of the cabinet next to it). You could build it in with a counter top over it and mount a 3 or 4 tap tower and glass storage above. Doesn't do much for bottles, but maybe if there is space you could put an unmodified Sanyo in there.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Quick Reply