Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > ProFlow Camlocks + thermoplastic tubing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
cobolstinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default ProFlow Camlocks + thermoplastic tubing?

Has anyone try to stretch thermoplastic tubing over the 1/2" mpt pro-flow camlocks? I like the rigidity of the thermoplastic tubing, I bought thin walled silicone and my chugger sucked it shut on the inlet side. I'm now debating on whether to go silicone or thermoplastic.

So to summarize
1. Has anyone incorporated 1/2" thermoplastic tubing with the proflow camlocks? If so how.
2. What silicone is good enough to not shut it self with a pump running wide open? I see midwest has reinforced silcone for $8.99 a foot, but I don't want to spend near that on tubing. Would something like this work? http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=10014

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
aquenne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hi

Ive done what your suggesting and ended up using barbs. I went in with the intention to stretch the tubing over the MPT of an elbow and it just wasnt possible. Thermoplastic tubing is just very ridgid.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
cobolstinks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquenne View Post
Hi

Ive done what your suggesting and ended up using barbs. I went in with the intention to stretch the tubing over the MPT of an elbow and it just wasnt possible. Thermoplastic tubing is just very ridgid.
did you try boiling the tubing first to soften it up? THats what the guys at northern brewer recommended to me a few minutes ago.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
aquenne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yes. The tubing is not at all "stretchy".

Keep in mind the OD of 1/2 MPT is apprx 3/4".. I would think if you ground down the pipe threads you might have a chance.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I use the over sized barbs from Brewers Hardware (below on the right) and have the thermoplastic hose stretched over them. I don't use any hose clamps on my system.

I use a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup and put some water in it and nuke it. Hold the hose in the water for about 10 seconds and then cram the barb in there real quick.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Old 04-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #6
cobolstinks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
I use the over sized barbs from Brewers Hardware (below on the right) and have the thermoplastic hose stretched over them. I don't use any hose clamps on my system.

I use a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup and put some water in it and nuke it. Hold the hose in the water for about 10 seconds and then cram the barb in there real quick.

Thanks Jon this gives me some hope. According to brewershardware the OD of those barbs is .625" so i think there's a chance this will work.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
aquenne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yes those barbs will work with the thermoplastic hose (im using them as well). No clamps too.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have the 5/8" barbs as well. There is no way you'll get thrermoplastic over 1/2" NPT threads. THat's over 1/4" of ID stretch. It's difficult enough with silicone.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
cobolstinks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I have the 5/8" barbs as well. There is no way you'll get thrermoplastic over 1/2" NPT threads. THat's over 1/4" of ID stretch. It's difficult enough with silicone.
bummer, well does 1/8" walled silicone suck itself shut when running a pump wide open?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

No, not at all.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply