Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Problems with my DIY pick up tube

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 06:55 AM   #1
RoseburgBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Problems with my DIY pick up tube

I've recently tried DIYing a pickup tube for my keggle but have been running into trouble. The keg will drain all of the way until it reaches the keggle valve and then stop. I tried putting a sh@! ton of plumbers tape on all of the fittings do make sure it was air tight and it seems to be air tight.

So I thought more about it and realized the pickup tube inside the keggle is smaller than the outtube for the valve. I don't know too much physics but could this be the problem? Could I be losing the syphon when the liquid goes from a small tube and has to expand into a larger tube? Thats my only guess. I could use some suggestions before I go to the hardware store and try and try and rig something else up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Do you have tubing coming off the valve into whatever you are transferring to? You need this to be below the bottom level of the pickup tube for the siphon to work...I know this may be obvious, but I have seen this question before.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13 View Post
Do you have tubing coming off the valve into whatever you are transferring to? You need this to be below the bottom level of the pickup tube for the siphon to work...I know this may be obvious, but I have seen this question before.
+1

Yeah, you need to make sure you have a hose comming off the valve to make the outflow lower than the pickup tube or else you will lose your siphon.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:30 AM   #4
RoseburgBrewer
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice I'll have to try that. I had a bunch of my buddies over to try and help me figure it out but came up with nothing... I love this forum

Quick Reply