Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Problem with my fryer's burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
Reddy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Problem with my fryer's burner

I bought a turkey fryer off Craigslist this weekend. I want to use it for frying turkeys, chickens, boiling sweet corn, etc but I also want to use the burner for brewing. Obviously I'm going to use the pot that came with it for cooking.

My brew pot is a really nice 9.5 gallon stainless steel pot that I just bought and have only used once in fact. The problem is, the brew pot won't fit on the burner. The burner has this ring around it that the pot that came with it sits in and my brew pot is too wide to fit.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you overcome it? I was thinking of buying a grill grate (like from a Weber) and sitting it on top of the burner's ring and putting my brew pot on top of that. I'm worried that this won't work since that will make the pot about an inch and a half or two inches above where it's supposed to be and it will have a hard time heating and be inefficient in its use of gas since it'll have to be cranked.

Opinions?

Secondary 2: Backyard Blackberry/Grape Wine
Bottled/Drinking: Spiced Belgium Ale, Pumpkin Ale, and a variety of cider, mead and farmhouse wines
On Deck: Coffee Porter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1076 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Does the pot not sit flat on top of this ring?

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
Reddy
Recipes 

No, it doesn't. The ring and the pot are actually the same exact diameter. I forgot to mention that... the pot also curves in a little on the bottom and will get stick in the ring. The ring is slightly out of round so the pot will wobble on it, which could be very dangerous when full of 7 or so gallons of boiling wort.

Bottled/Drinking: Spiced Belgium Ale, Pumpkin Ale, and a variety of cider, mead and farmhouse wines

Old 01-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

pics?

Maybe you can cut this ring off the burner with a hack saw?

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 01-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1076 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Even something as simple as the grate from an old BBQ grill would work fine.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
Stile
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Even something as simple as the grate from an old BBQ grill would work fine.
Yep!! goto Lowes or Home Depot and look in their BBQ section. Then look for the round replacement Webber grates. You can either use the coals grate or the cooking grates.
Secondary2 Pumpkin Ale
Conditioning
On Deck Holiday Ale

Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 AM   #7
Reddy
Recipes 

Quote:
Yep!! goto Lowes or Home Depot and look in their BBQ section. Then look for the round replacement Webber grates. You can either use the coals grate or the cooking grates.
Well this was my first thought too... but I was worried because that would put the bottom of my pot about 2" above where it's supposed to sit. I was worried this would make it take forever to boil because of the distance from the flame, and also use too much gas since I'd have to have it cranking to get it up to boiling....

Old 01-05-2009, 12:58 AM   #8
Stile
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy View Post
Well this was my first thought too... but I was worried because that would put the bottom of my pot about 2" above where it's supposed to sit. I was worried this would make it take forever to boil because of the distance from the flame, and also use too much gas since I'd have to have it cranking to get it up to boiling....
Ahhh so by design, the pot is susposed to sit inside the ring??? Do you know the BTU rating of the burner??
Secondary2 Pumpkin Ale
Conditioning
On Deck Holiday Ale

Old 01-05-2009, 01:01 AM   #9
nosmatt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

how are you with a grinder?
really, i have a metal ringed burner, and a pot that fits perfect, but i would not hesitate to cut that beyotch off.

and like bobby said, put a grate over it if your not handy with tools, or do not have them.
2" is NOT going to make a difference.
you will crank that sucker to get it rolling, and turn it way down after it does just like everyone else has to.

how much was the fryer of CL any way???

i was looking, but nobody in my neck of the woods want to give up deep fryin' (buncha fat asses!!!)

Old 01-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #10
Reddy
Recipes 

You got it Stile. According to the box, this burner it 110,000 BTU's.

Nosmatt, If I had the tools, I'd cut it off, flip it upside down (it's my opinion that the ring adds strength so I wouldn't want to lose it completely) and weld it back. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools and don't know anyone that does.

I guess I'll give the grate idea a try. For the record, I paid $25 for a Sunbeam "Southern Cooker" fryer, still in the box, brand new.

Quick Reply