This is probably a bad idea, but potentially a new kettle source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xumbi

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I mentioned to my brother-in-law that I was on the lookout for a keg to use as a brew kettle. He suggested I take a look at a used oil drum from his shop. I figured it couldn't hurt, so here we are:

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

At first glance, the dimensions are perfect for my turkey fryer. However, as one might assume, it smells like oil, and there is still a slight oil film on the inside. Also, I don't know if I can be sure that this thing is stainless steel. Even if it is stainless steel, is there any way to clean it to a food grade state?

I'm sure this is a dead end.

If this was food grade oil, go for it... otherwise don't risk it man. Regardless of how well you clean it, there will be residue left. Don't want to be drinking nasties like that.

Stick a magnet to it. If there is a strong attraction, it's highly doubtful that it's stainless. If there is slight to no attraction, it just might be worth pursuing further.

See if a magnet sticks. If not, it's probably stainless. I wouldn't have any qualms about brewing with it if it's stainless and you give it a really good wipe down with a cloth soaked in laquer thinner or acetone. Then use a 3M pad and a bunch of hot water/dish detergent with a thorough rinse.

i'd try it once anyway

caveats:clean with a grease cutting soap/degreaser. rinse repeatedly. fill with water and boil to see if you get anymore oil residue come out of the steel

Wow thanks for the lightning fast replies!

I tried a magnet on it, and it stuck right on very strong. Just to convince myself, I tried the same magnet on a SS spoon and it did not stick at all.

To the scrap yard it goes...

I also have been trying to think up different ideas for a brew kettle, good try on the oil drum though!

The magnet trick is great! I used it when picking out a BBQ grill at home depot, all their "home depot" brand crap was really bad stainless or just mild steel that they called stainless, I found one that the magnet would not stick to and that's the one I got.

Anyway to be on topic, I'd suggest that if you are near a large city to post and ad to craigslist asking anyone if they'd sell you a keg to make into a keggle. I was talking to a guy today about it, $30 or so for one. Make sure you post that you want only legally acquired kegs (retired from service etc.). Or go to your local micro and ask if they have any kegs that they want to get rid of (dip tube busted up or something)

Keep the ideas flowing though!

Back