Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pro brewers, Mash/tun as boil kettle.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
Todd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Pro brewers, Mash/tun as boil kettle.

I was watching krotchrott and they mention that alot of breweries use the mash/ton as the brew kettle, I don't follow how they would do this, Do they drain the wort then pull out the grain and put the wort back in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Acuallly they use a lauter tun, which is where they sparge. So they mash in one kettle transfer over to the lauter tun, and the runnings are brought back to the kettle. This way they only need to have one heat source.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

That's a new one. I've visited 4-barrel breweries and Widmer and breweries in between. I've never seen a brewery where they used the mash tun as the boil kettle. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I'm running about 20 out of 20 don't.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-10-2006, 05:42 AM   #4
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I can tell you the exact one, Lake Front Brewery here in Milwaukee does this.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:53 AM   #5
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sause
Acuallly they use a lauter tun, which is where they sparge. So they mash in one kettle transfer over to the lauter tun, and the runnings are brought back to the kettle. This way they only need to have one heat source.
They move the grain from the Mash Tun to another vessel to sparge it? That seems weird. I could see using the HLT (hot liquor tank) as the boil kettle. That's what I do. Heat water in the HLT, mash in a cooler, collect runnings in another cooler, batch sparge in the mash cooler where the grains are already sitting there from the mash, collect second runnings in the extra cooler, then transfer wort to HLT which is now a boil ketlle.

Quick Reply