The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Priming Bulb as Siphon Starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
shildebr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Priming Bulb as Siphon Starter

Wanted to let everyone know my experience using a priming bulb as a siphon starter. If you're not familiar, check the link
http://www.jmsonline.net/ppp/images/50251.jpg

I bought mine at wal-mart for $5 and it had 3/8" connections, the same as my racking cane. I just cut the hose about halfway in the line and attached the bulb.

It worked perfectly starting the siphon, just a couple pumps and the beer was flowing. I guess I'll have to wait and see if the rubber imparts any off flavors but I don't foresee that happening. I will repost if I have any problems.

I know I won't change any die-hard auto siphon fans' minds, but if you have to rely on internet suppliers for your homebrew needs (like me) its a nice alternative that you can find anywhere.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
shildebr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Update: If you use this method DONT leave the priming bulb on the hose while racking. I did that while racking to secondary and now my whole batch has a rubbery taste to it, i mean a VERY rubbery taste.

From now on I will start the siphon with the bulb and then take it off while siphoning, or...................buy an auto-siphon.

Damn, conventional wisdom.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply