Primary Vessel for 10 Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rono73

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm planning to increase production and start doing 10 Gallon All-grain batches. Can anyone tell me how big a Primary I should use? I'm guessing a 13 or 14 gallon vessel should be big enough to allow for fermentation activity, but was hoping someone had a pretty definitive answer.

Also, does anyone know of a cost-effective way to acquire such a vessel? I would hope to use Stainless, but I think it may be cost prohibitive. Is it wise to split a 10 gallon batch into 2-6.5 gallon carboys for a primary?

I saw a 14 gallon Tuff Tank at EC Krauss online, but as a purist, I'd rather stay away from plastic.
http://www.eckraus.com/HOMEBREWING_...Tanks_and_Pails/14_GAL_TUFF/Page_1/TT140.html

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

There is a vendor on here that sells the conversion kit to turn a sankey keg into a fermentor. It basically has a dip tube and airlock hole built into a clamp that seals the hole on the top. Pretty sweet, I am looking out for a keg to do this too.

I have been using one of these 17.5 gallon vessels that I picked up from Crosby and Baker years ago. Works like a charm. It's especially handy for making lagers. It's easier to lift than my 14.5 gallon Fermenator, and it fits in my lager fridge.
Secondary fermentation is very easily done with two carboys.
175d1147312373-10-gallon-lagering-setup-primary-fermenter-10-gal_1_1_1.jpg

I use 2, 6 gal carboys for my 10 gal batches. I use a tub of water on the basement floor for fermentation temp control and I couldn't manage to move a single container because of the weight. I need to raise the fermenters to a workbench to rack to my kegs.

There's a BYO article from around this time last year about modding Rubbermaid Brute garbage can. They come in sizes up to 30 gallons and are food grade plastic. All they use are some spring clamps, a grommet and an airlock.

Dig it up...it is sweet!

You can have it on wheels, and use clamps to make the lid airtight, then poke a hole and add a grommet for an airlock...

This one...
1607.jpg

There is a vendor on here that sells the conversion kit to turn a sankey keg into a fermentor. It basically has a dip tube and airlock hole built into a clamp that seals the hole on the top. Pretty sweet, I am looking out for a keg to do this too.

this is the route i plan to go if i ever start doing 10gal batches.
http://brewershardware.com/fermenter.htm

I just received my fermenter cap from Derrin the other day, I clamped it onto my fermenter keg already and it sure is sweet. I'm going to order a 2nd so I can have 2 15 gallon fermenters going at once.

Back