Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Price per pound of salvage copper?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
Aust1227
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Price per pound of salvage copper?

What are you scrap yard chargin for "scrap" copper? Mine here is charging $3.95. They have 50' MINT coils all the time. I just picked up some 1" pipe for my RIMS and various elbows and reducers.. Beats the hell out of HD or Lowes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

All I know is that its expensive enough that people are backing there trucks into telephone poles to knock the poles down, then cutting live power lines to try salvage the copper out of them. Also had a big truck about 50miles south of here that cut a transmition line for the railroad then ran the truck and dragged down over 300 yards of copper.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #3
Aust1227
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28
All I know is that its expensive enough that people are backing there trucks into telephone poles to knock the poles down, then cutting live power lines to try salvage the copper out of them. Also had a big truck about 50miles south of here that cut a transmition line for the railroad then ran the truck and dragged down over 300 yards of copper.
I work in construction so I am used to having my jobs ripped off of copper wires and AC work. I am just looking to see what others are paying at the scrap yard. It is a great place to pick up tubing elbow, couplings, ext.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
wihophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28

The funny thing is that transmission lines are usually aluminum. I had some pictures of a guy trying to steal "copper" from a live feed. He made contact with the line near his groin and it exited his elbow blowing his arm off. It turned out it was aluminum conductors on (I believe) a 26,4 feed.

Quick Reply