Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pressure Relief Valve Doesn't Unscrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
yournotpeter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Pressure Relief Valve Doesn't Unscrew

I just received a new keg I ordered online and it came with a pressure relief valve that looks like the one below. It doesn't unscrew by hand, but rather, requires a 9/16". But for the life of me, I CANNOT get the thing off. Does anyone know...are they SUPPOSED to come off?

THANKS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Looks like it needs some heat or a lube like WD-40 and a wrench.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Thirteen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's internally threaded and should come off with relative ease. It the threads were likely galled on install. I'd try a liberal spray of power lube, WD40 or some similar penetrating fluid. Soak it down real well and then let it site for an hour before trying to unscrew it.

If that doesn't work (if it's galled bad it won't) you'll have to take a torch to the PRV or use a cut of wheel to take it apart. Try not to touch the threads if cutting it off. Just come close and then use a cold chisel to open it up. Get a die, can't recall what size the Mytton/Rodd takes, and chase the the threads before installing a new PRV and use an anti-seize on the threads.

If you're just lookng to clean it and the PRV is holding pressure you might just want to let it be. Of course that just means it will fail to hold pressure when you're really counting on it and will have to deal with it then.

Quick Reply