Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Preparing to dry hop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Coachlight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Preparing to dry hop

I'm making a Chinook IPA (Northern Brewer extract kit). I racked to secondary after 8 days (been in secondary for 6 days now) and am getting ready to dry hop for 10 days before bottling. This will be my first time, so I ask:

To keep the pellet gunk out of the beer, I would guess I need to use a sock. How best to sanitize these? Just soak in sanitizer for a minute? Then sanitize hop packet and scissors and dump in? Seems thats the best way, but it's always good to ask.

Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Use a nylon mesh hop bag. I use those for 1oz of whole hops when adding to the serving keg. I found that I like that significantly more than dry hopping in fermenter.

Also, you don't need to rack to secondary for ales. You also don't need to rack to secondary to dry hop. I've dry hopped in primary with good results. Of course (as I mentioned) I like it even better when I dry hop in my serving keg. I still have great hop/aroma once carbonated (2 weeks at temperature and pressure before pulling a glass). Plus, it remains stable for the entire keg. No more fading over time as you go through the bottles.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
The_Canmancan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just soak the sock/mesh bag in sanitizer and you will be fine.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

I haven't bothered to put the hops in a bag when i dry hop. Just be careful when racking to bottling bucket or keg, or even wrap some cheese cloth around your auto siphon. But if I used a bag I would just soak it in star San solution for minute or two

On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 10-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2xu View Post
I haven't bothered to put the hops in a bag when i dry hop. Just be careful when racking to bottling bucket or keg, or even wrap some cheese cloth around your auto siphon. But if I used a bag I would just soak it in star San solution for minute or two
I didn't use anything in the first batch I dry hopped (in primary). Plugged up the transfer. Since I'm fermenting in sanke kegs, it's hard to see where the levels are (no x-ray vision yet).

IMO, the nylon hop bags are cheap, reusable, and easy to use. The hardest part is removing them (when using whole hops) from something like a carboy. From a keg, it's not nearly as much trouble.

I do dip the bag into Star San solution before filling with hops.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
Coachlight
Recipes 

Cool thanks all.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I pesonnaly do it in secondary, and add ''glass balls'' (not sure of the english term, i'm a french speaker) to the bag, so the bag is not floating. You can also hang the bag so it's stay in the middle of the fermentor, not on top floating, and not on the bottom with the yeast/hop/sh*t cake.

Past experiences with carboys tell me to now always dryhop in pails or large-mouth fermenters, for obvious reasons.

1 minutes or 2 in the starsan for the bag. Or 24h in whisky

Old 10-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
JonathanS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have dry hopped in carboys before without a problem. I use a sock/mesh bag, add a fermentation marble or two for weight, and tie some (unflavored) dental floss to the bag. Once dry hopping is done, gently pull out the hop bag with the dental floss.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Yhea. Marbles. That is the word I was looking for.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #10
Coachlight
Recipes 

I like the marble idea. Heading to LHBS tomorrow after work to grab a bag. Hopefully some marbles too. Dental floss idea is a great one too! Thanks all!!

Quick Reply