Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pre-made or Homemade False Bottom?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
Craig5_12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pre-made or Homemade False Bottom?

I'm submitting my dillema to the powers of HBT: What do you guys think?

I need to upgrade my false bottoms, the SS / AL screen isn't cutting it anymore. I'm wondering if I should buy these pre-made false bottoms (below) or just build my own? (I need one for Sanke MLT and one for Sanke Kettle)
My dillema:
The pre-made are nicely shapped and cut already but they're only 11.5" inches wide (Sanke's are 15.5")
The price for the material is about the same either way, but with homemade I can go the full 15.5" of the keg.
Because the price is the same, I'm thinking about taking the easy way out and buying the pre-made. My time, effort and gas money for building my own will outweigh the price of the pre-made BUT I will get the full width of my keg...so is that worth it?

EDIT: I can't tell if the pic is working or not, so here is the address: http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/f...lse-bottom.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 130

I made my own and I dont see why you need it to be the full size fo the keg. for one you are going to have a hard time getting it in the keg if you cut your kegs like I do and leave the lip around the top. Second the bottom is concave so it helps to have the false bottom a bit samller then the kettle anyway to help it seal when you dump 30# of grain. Your in SAC if you ever get up to Redding just let me know I can cut a cupple any size you like just pay me for the materials probably around 30 bones for both cut to what ever sice you want.
Cheers
JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Old 05-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Craig5_12
Recipes 

Thanks for the offer JJ, I have a great aunt and uncle that live up that way and we head to the inlaws in Medford every now and then. I don't mind making them myself, I've got access to a machine shop and I'm an avid DIY'er. The best price I can find on the material is here: http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...d=13533&step=4 (I'd probably get the 24" x 36" although I'll have lots of excess.) The local place here says I have to buy a minimum of 48"....

Old 05-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 372 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Just make it brother. you will be alot happier just knowing you DIY. that is a good price for all that stuff and you will be able to find a use for the remainder of whats left, Theres ALWAYS another project
Cheers
JJ

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

Old 05-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
Craig5_12
Recipes 

Yeah, I was leaning that direction too. The local place is cheaper if I buy a bigger amount, so I thought about getting about a 48" X 48" chunk and having enough to make another system or two.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig5_12
The pre-made are nicely shapped and cut already but they're only 11.5" inches wide (Sanke's are 15.5")
This one's made for a keg MLT. $80 though. http://www.kegs.com/falsebottom.html

This is what I use. Got it at morebeer.com. It's not the full diameter, but it's worked great since I started using a SS hose clamp to keep the false bottom tight on the bottom. The rubber o-ring they send to use is worthless.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
Craig5_12
Recipes 

Well I went ahead and ordered the sheet metal from www.onlinemetals.com and it arrived last week. I've not yet had time to put together the false bottoms, which sadly means that I've not had time to brew. I've settled on a design like the $80 picture above. I couldn't find hinges I wanted at Home Depot so I'm thinking I might just wire it together.....
I'm also going to move the hole to the very edge so that stirring is easier, I'll just run a tube under the false bottom to the center of the keg to make sure I get every last drop of fermentable wort!

Old 06-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

It's not hard to stir with the pickup tube in the middle. I'd stick with that route. You can get the pickup tube right down close to the bottom. I think you'd have a hard time running a tube under the FB. It'll be really shallow on the edges. If you get it to work, let us know and post some pics.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Oh, and HD should have plenty of SS hinges to choose from. I'm surprised you didn't find any.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Everyone I know has gotten rid of their false bottom and replaced it with SS braid. False bottoms have a tendency to stick where I have never had a problem with the SS braid. The braid is MUCH cheaper and works MUCH better.

I just coiled it up on the bottom and I get 80% - 85% efficiency.

Quick Reply