Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pot size for extract full boil / all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
maida7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrol View Post
Should end with 3g in each for 6g batch But yeah. Cooling 1 worth, remove and immerse the IC in the hot wort is not too dangerous for infection? (I know the IC was "sanitized" during the boil of the first, but I was wondering if the process of moving from a cool wort to a hot wort was bad).

Do people easily succesfully do full boil in two pot at the same time? You need to divide your recipe in two I guess and do the same thing at the same moment in each.
sounds like a pain in the ass if you ask me. If your really gonna go this route, start one boil 30 mins before the second one. Then you will have 30 mins to chill the first one and get it in the fermenter before you have to chill the second one. Still sounds like a pain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #22
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
sounds like a pain in the ass if you ask me. If your really gonna go this route, start one boil 30 mins before the second one. Then you will have 30 mins to chill the first one and get it in the fermenter before you have to chill the second one. Still sounds like a pain.
Yeah, which is why I don't wana go this route lol

Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #23
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Yeah, in a near future I'd like to move and get a garage too. This would make my life a lot easier.

So 6 GAL batch on the glass stove top was fine? So you'd start with 7-8-9 GAL and the glass didn't break?
Yep, no problems at all other than it was kind of slow to start boiling. I typically started with 8 to 8 1/2 gallons plus the grain bill (full volume BIAB). Now obviously I can't guarantee you would have the same results...FWIW the stove was a GE glass top...not induction or quartz.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #24
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphist View Post
Yep, no problems at all other than it was kind of slow to start boiling. I typically started with 8 to 8 1/2 gallons plus the grain bill (full volume BIAB). Now obviously I can't guarantee you would have the same results...FWIW the stove was a GE glass top...not induction or quartz.
And it did not crack? If only I knew my stove top would support this weight it would be easier to decide

When doing BIAB do you need more water and bigger pot? or do you top off with water when it's done mashing?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #25
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrol

And it did not crack? If only I knew my stove top would support this weight it would be easier to decide

When doing BIAB do you need more water and bigger pot? or do you top off with water when it's done mashing?
Personally I would call the manufacturer and ask before attempting.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Typically you would use the full volume of water. There is nothing wrong with using a little less water and dunk "sparge" or tea-bagging the grain bag to end up with the correct pre-boil volume.

Chris

Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #27
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Personally I would call the manufacturer and ask before attempting.
Yeah by what I could read on the net I think the answer will be "Tested to 50lb, over that it's not under warrenty" but problem is a 6 GAL batch with 7-8-9 GAL on the stove top will weight over that

Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #28
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Yeah by what I could read on the net I think the answer will be "Tested to 50lb, over that it's not under warrenty" but problem is a 6 GAL batch with 7-8-9 GAL on the stove top will weight over that
True. 50 lbs of water is 6.25 gallons. With the weight of the pot even 6 gallons would probably be over the test limit.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #29
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
True. 50 lbs of water is 6.25 gallons. With the weight of the pot even 6 gallons would probably be over the test limit.
and if your doing BIAB there's potentially another 10-20 lbs of grain in the pot during the mash.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #30
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wasn't going for BIAB. But yeah Anyhow I'm pretty much ****ed What I'd hope is to move in a new house and get a garage so I can either do it with propane burner or get another stove but without glass stove top and then use a heat stick.

But for the moment since we don't plan moving in the next 2 years I'd have to find a way to do it indoor, without propane and without burning my house

Quick Reply