Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pot size for extract full boil / all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
goybar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

10 vs 20# of grain

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrol View Post
But why do very high gravity batch would need a bigger pot?
Efficiency can suffer to the point were adding more grain adds less sugar. See here for details:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...ore-sugar.html

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
Woodland Brewing Research Blog Applied Science for Better Beer.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 503 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 226

In all honesty, if you are stuck doing the boils inside your best bet is to get 2 kettles and divide the wort into two vessels to boil and then combine in the primary after chilling. I do 6.25 gallon batches and my 10 kettle is barely large enough to handle the pre boil volume-I use Ferm cap to help limit boil overs big time! I wish I had gone to a 15G kettle so its on my list

There are countless threads here of people that try to get 7-9 gallons of wort boiling on stoves and they just can't get a vigorous boil going without the addition of a heat stick type element as well to help out the burner

Higher gravity beers do not require a bigger pot but a bigger tun, like 10 gallons that will accommodate about 23# of grain. You would still be collecting the same pre boil volume to boil.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
In all honesty, if you are stuck doing the boils inside your best bet is to get 2 kettles and divide the wort into two vessels to boil and then combine in the primary after chilling. I do 6.25 gallon batches and my 10 kettle is barely large enough to handle the pre boil volume-I use Ferm cap to help limit boil overs big time! I wish I had gone to a 15G kettle so its on my list

There are countless threads here of people that try to get 7-9 gallons of wort boiling on stoves and they just can't get a vigorous boil going without the addition of a heat stick type element as well to help out the burner
As I said a heat stick might be a good idea. I would need to borrow a big pot and see how fast it can boil water with just my stove. (Apparently some are better than other so I'd have to see). I'm also highly concerned that I put too much weight on my glass stove top.

Quote:
Higher gravity beers do not require a bigger pot but a bigger tun, like 10 gallons that will accommodate about 23# of grain. You would still be collecting the same pre boil volume to boil.
Ah yeah a bigger tun. But I guess if you need a bigger tun you would need more water still so if your pot isn't big enough, you will still have a big problem with water needs.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #15
duboman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrol View Post
As I said a heat stick might be a good idea. I would need to borrow a big pot and see how fast it can boil water with just my stove. (Apparently some are better than other so I'd have to see). I'm also highly concerned that I put too much weight on my glass stove top.

Definitely a worthwhile concern to have as it will be quite heavy!

Ah yeah a bigger tun. But I guess if you need a bigger tun you would need more water still so if your pot isn't big enough, you will still have a big problem with water needs.
Yes, water management can be tricky. I use one pot to heat my strike water for the mash. Once that water is used up I heat up my sparge water while the mash is going. Then I collect my runnings in my boil kettle so yes, ideally you have two large pots plus the mash tun. This means you essentially are placing two heavy pots on your stove top!

Like I said earlier, you may be better off splitting your boil into 2 5 gallon pots and the weight is then distributed over 2 separate burners.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Yes, water management can be tricky. I use one pot to heat my strike water for the mash. Once that water is used up I heat up my sparge water while the mash is going. Then I collect my runnings in my boil kettle so yes, ideally you have two large pots plus the mash tun. This means you essentially are placing two heavy pots on your stove top!

Like I said earlier, you may be better off splitting your boil into 2 5 gallon pots and the weight is then distributed over 2 separate burners.
I would need another IC for that, and even that, I cannot plug two on my sink. Would need to make some modifications :S And cooling one after the other might be taking too long isn't it?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #17
duboman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrol

I would need another IC for that, and even that, I cannot plug two on my sink. Would need to make some modifications :S And cooling one after the other might be taking too long isn't it?
Not really, yes in a perfect world you chill as quick as possible but if you only have 2.5g in each pot finished wort it won't take that long to chill

Old 01-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #18
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Not really, yes in a perfect world you chill as quick as possible but if you only have 2.5g in each pot finished wort it won't take that long to chill
Should end with 3g in each for 6g batch But yeah. Cooling 1 worth, remove and immerse the IC in the hot wort is not too dangerous for infection? (I know the IC was "sanitized" during the boil of the first, but I was wondering if the process of moving from a cool wort to a hot wort was bad).

Do people easily succesfully do full boil in two pot at the same time? You need to divide your recipe in two I guess and do the same thing at the same moment in each.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #19
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Before I moved, I used the glass top stove in my apartment to boil 5-6 gal. batches. I have a 60 qt pot that I put on two burners. I would cover the tip of the pot with foil (don't have a lid big enough) just until it started boiling. I was planning on building a heat stick to speed up getting to boil, but the new home has a really good gas stove and a garage.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
kontrol
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphist View Post
Before I moved, I used the glass top stove in my apartment to boil 5-6 gal. batches. I have a 60 qt pot that I put on two burners. I would cover the tip of the pot with foil (don't have a lid big enough) just until it started boiling. I was planning on building a heat stick to speed up getting to boil, but the new home has a really good gas stove and a garage.
Yeah, in a near future I'd like to move and get a garage too. This would make my life a lot easier.

So 6 GAL batch on the glass stove top was fine? So you'd start with 7-8-9 GAL and the glass didn't break?

Quick Reply