Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pot for Glass top range

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3156 Times on 3063 Posts
Likes Given: 168

If this is your first batch, just get a decent sized pot that you'll be able to use later if you don't stick with brewing. A 3 gallon pot should be plenty to get your feet wet, as it were.

The largest volume I could get on my glasstop range was almost 4 gallons using an enamel canning pot. Of course, that was 6-7 years ago.

And the wife was never happy with me brewing indoors and the inevitable boilover burning on the glasstop.

Go 7.5G in a turkey frying burner kit. Makes everyone happy and you can do your full boil extract batches with some foam control drops. Around this time of year the turkey kits pop up all over the place at very reasonable pricing. Aluminum makes a great pot for brewing as long as you take a little more care with your pot.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=49449

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
Ichthy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a glass top range and can barely boil 3 gallons with the lid off. It boils but is far from a violent boil. If you go with the big pot you better get propane.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

To say you won't be happy with your glasstop is a little dramatic, but it does depend on how you will be brewing.
I brew with an Update SP-20 stock pot on a glass top range and it works great with 3 gal boils. This is all you should need for Extract steeping. I get the 3 gals up to boiling in a decent amount of time and can keep a roll going on "6". It is even easier if when I leave my mesh strainer in the pot and put the lid on top of that. It leaves a nice gap around for the steam to escape and traps some heat in as well.
You will want a pot close to the diameter of your burner or at least the ability to center the pot on the burner.
I haven't tried 5 gal boils, it might do it, but any bigger than that you will have to find a better alternative.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

if all you ever plan or want to do is extract brewing then you can get by with a glass top. To me extract brewing is about as much of a challenge as making instant potatoes but if that's what floats your boat more power to ya

Last edited by abracadabra; 11-06-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 PM   #15
OMJ
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

my glass top can boil 4 gallons. I have never tried more cause I dont actually brew on my glass top and I dont think it would fit one of my keggles.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 AM   #16
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I can't get over 3 gallons to boil on my glass top. I tried 4 gallons, and could hold 209*F, no more. FWIW, I have a "power element" on my glass top that is 3000 watts, compared with the 2000 watts of the other burners.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:24 AM   #17
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Saw the title of the thread, and I thought someone wanted to trade weed for a stove !

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 10-28-2009, 01:28 AM   #18
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
Saw the title of the thread, and I thought someone wanted to trade weed for a stove !
And now you have to go and put the stove back, right?

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 10-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #19
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Get a small pot that is barely big enough, and after the first boilover I'm pretty sure you'll have your wife's permission to go out and get a turkey fryer immediately afterward. The smoke and violent splattering associated with molten sugarwater (wort!) touching the glass cooktop is something I will never deal with again.

Outside, I have plenty of cooking power, boilovers are an annoyance instead of a possible range-damaging situation, and SWMBO is happy.

Other than that, the pot must be perfectly flat on the bottom in order to be effective on the range-top if you're going this route. A slight bend in the bottom can make the difference between boiling 2G or not boiling 2G. YMMV, but my range does a kind of auto-throttle thing based on temperature sensors in the burner areas, and 2G per pot is about as high as I could ever go. Even turning a burner to high isn't enough for one of my 2G pots. Did I mention that molten sugar burning on the glass can permanently damage the surface? I've got pitting around one of my glass burners when we had a jam boilover a year ago. At least it wasn't beer (that would've banned it from the house permanently).

It's turkey season- now or right after thanksgiving is the time to get a burner and a matching pot. $57 for me last year and it's been worth every penny.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #20
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3156 Times on 3063 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebben View Post
. The smoke and violent splattering associated with molten sugarwater (wort!) touching the glass cooktop is something I will never deal with again.
This. Mine still has scorched marks on it that will not scour or scrape off.

Quick Reply