Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Post Boil Hop Filtration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Default Post Boil Hop Filtration

Currently I am using a keggle with a side pickup tube equipped with a stainless toilet hose mesh. I am looking for a cheap alternative to a hop spider to provide a second layer of hop filtration post boil to keep small hop partials out of my plate chiller. I have tossed the idea around of building a hop back and looked at this stainless filter but both are costly; I don't want to spend more to protect my chiller than it is worth.

I stumbled across this yesterday while I was at tractor supply:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/hypro-r...screen-2114106

Polypropylene is a common material used in food containers and is dishwasher safe. Melting point is in well above boiling. Stainless mesh is used as a filter.

So can I use this for the outlined purpose?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1379 Times on 1114 Posts

That things looks pretty small, it can't have much screening capacity, so your primary strainer better be doing a good job...

Cheers!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
joncro55
Recipes 

The stainless wire mesh should be good enough as a filter to curb your concerns with the lack of straining/screening capacity.

Any idea on the size of the stainless wire mesh that you are using? (Reference for measuring: http://www.bwire.com/ ) - How many wires per inch? How many openings per inch?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncro55 View Post
The stainless wire mesh should be good enough as a filter to curb your concerns with the lack of straining/screening capacity.

Any idea on the size of the stainless wire mesh that you are using? (Reference for measuring: http://www.bwire.com/ ) - How many wires per inch? How many openings per inch?
Not sure; it is a copy of this using the braid off of a stainless hose but rigged as a side pickup. It doesn't hold its shape very well during the boil and lots of the small bits make it through. I haven't had any flow issues with my plate chiller; but I do backwash a bunch of hop partials out of it when I clean it and there is no way to be sure that I got them all.

Quick Reply