Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Possible to adjust differential (hysteresis) on Johnson analog temp controller?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Possible to adjust differential (hysteresis) on Johnson analog temp controller?

I use the analog Johnson temp controller in my keg freezer (see pic below). Is it possible to set the differential (hysteresis) on these models? How?

Northern Brewer states that it has a 3.5 degree F differential (link) but I'm not sure if it's adjustable.

I'm on my second freezer in 2 years and want to make sure that the differential is not set too small by mistake which would cause the compressor to cycle on/off too much killing it prematurely.

Thanks!

Kal

Last edited by kal; 12-16-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts

I have no experience with that controller, but it's at least possible that it's adjustable. Pop the cover off- if you see these guys on the PCB, you can *probably* adjust the hysteresis:

As to whether or not it's recommended to fiddle with knobs under the hood of that thing... well. If you have a multimeter and a basic knowledge of circuits, you're probably ok fiddling. If not, I'd settle for the 3.5 degree setting.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 12-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts

Strike that last post.

I dug up the technical doc on that controller. Looks like the unit is completely self-contained inside the cover, and it looks like you're stuck with whatever hysteresis they set. I'd still pop the cover off and take a look.

http://www.vikingcontrols.com/_documents/Product/125020.PDF

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Last edited by dwarven_stout; 12-17-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 135 Posts

Thanks for checking and finding the tech doc on it! Very useful. It's going in my brewing equipment binder.

I'd have no issues with the electronics but if the hysteresis is hard set to 3.5'F and there's no control to adjust it (or more importantly instructions on how to set to 3.5'F) I'll leave it alone. Thanks!

Kal

Quick Reply