Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ported Better Bottle question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
Duckfoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Ported Better Bottle question...

Just picked up a 6 gallon ported Better Bottle, but the store didn't have the racking spigot in stock... In my eagerness to get another batch started, I grabbed a synthetic wine cork which seems to fit the port snugly... I will leak test it for poops and grins, but I was wondering if it passes and I just cannot resist the urge to fill it up, any thoughts on whether the synth cork could be a bad idea or should I just wait for the spigot to come in?

Also, have a deal on a used 5 gallon glass carboy... Would that make a good secondary?

Thanks!

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wouldn't mess with the bottle till you got the spigot. If the cork were to leak or allow oxygen into your beer it would be ruined.

The 5 gallon carboy should be fine for secondaries.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #3
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ah come on...

You were supposed to tell me "Nah, shouldn't be a problem, plugged it up, fire up the burner and get to it!!"

I guess a few more days aren't gonna kill me... Besides, I am gonna pick up a 20# CO2 tank tomorrow and I am still waiting for my regulator to be delivered... Have the first four rebuilt cornies pressure testing now and got a spare set of disconnects... If I can get the Weizen kegged and out of my spare pail, I can use that again for the new brew....

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Quick Reply