New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ported 5 Gallon Better Bottle and Valve - Where to Buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
the_merlin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ported 5 Gallon Better Bottle and Valve - Where to Buy?

I've been doing some looking around, but unfortunately places like Google and Yahoo! shopping do not return results from many homebrew suppliers. Where's the cheapest place to buy the Ported 5 Gallon Better Bottle and the spigot valve? I don't understand why the spigot valve costs as much as the Better Bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_merlin View Post
I don't understand why the spigot valve costs as much as the Better Bottle.
I don't either, which is why I don't use them.

Just sayin...

Old 04-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Brewmasters Warehouse
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think the values are so expensive because that is just what they cost. If suppliers can get them cheaper I am sure they would sell them cheaper, but it seems that everyone charges about the same price for them, so the costs are about the same for everyone.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
the_merlin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wanted to give everyone an update. I decided to buy the regular non-ported better bottle. I drilled a 1 inch hole into the bottle, so I had better figure out a way to install the $3 spigot onto the bottle. My first 2 attempts failed, but the 3rd idea worked like a charm.

Gaskets installed on both sides and the nut on the inside of the bottle...

Old 07-03-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

the Merlin: You might need to divulge how you worked the gasket & nut inside before you frustrate those who will try this. BB includes a cut piece of plastic tubing to aide in putting in the BB valve.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
the_merlin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
the Merlin: You might need to divulge how you worked the gasket & nut inside before you frustrate those who will try this. BB includes a cut piece of plastic tubing to aide in putting in the BB valve.
Go ahead and buy the better bottle valve and plastic tubing for $45. I did this for $3. I do think everyone should try this. It's very easy. I hope to explain it clearly and concisely. You'll need Keg Lube, about 5' of finishing line, a small piece of wood like a tongue depressor or a paint stirrer, and a long, skinny rod or handle. Cut the wood to just bigger than the size of the nut. Drill a hole through the piece of wood and attach the fishing line.

Set the spigot to open and string the fishing line through the spigot, exiting out the red nozzle. You can then move the piece of wood through the other gaskets and nut. Here's what it'll look like minus the better bottle...

Apply very little keg lube to one side of one gasket. Stick this gasket onto the nut. Place the nut/gasket combo through the mouth of the better bottle and gently slide it down to the hole at the bottom. The wood piece and line should be strung through the spigot and one gasket. Now work the wood up through the better bottle hole and up through the gasket and nut on the inside. Insert the spigot threads into the better bottle. Pull on the fishing line to create force to pull the gasket down over the treads of the spigot. Once the nut comes in contact with the spigot threads, insert the rod through the mouth of the better bottle and rest it on the nut...

Now pull on the fishing line while rotating the spigot from the outside. Keep the rod on the nut so it doesn't turn. Once the inside gasket comes in contact with the better bottle, you can completely hand-tighten it without needing the rod. Now turn the better bottle upside down and loosen the fishing string to allow the wood to exit out the mouth.

It's really easier than it sounds. And the spigot can be easily removed because you can keep tension against the inner gasket as you unscrew from the outside...no rod needed for that.

Last edited by the_merlin; 07-03-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2644 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 2152

Quote:
I put the BB spigot on my BB without the tube they are supposed to include. I had to fabricate something from a wooden dowel. It was a bit kludgy, but worked fine.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Ho, BB does NOT include a cut piece of plastic tubing... they CHARGE for it. Yet more salt in the wound of having to pay for the valve.

Regular PVC pipe works as well.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:53 AM   #9
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

What kind of bit and technique did you drill with? I accidentally bought a non ported BB and have a spare nozzle laying around.

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:09 AM   #10
jrfuda
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apendecto View Post
What kind of bit and technique did you drill with? I accidentally bought a non ported BB and have a spare nozzle laying around.

Thanks.
Here's a thread with the technique I used to drill my non-ported better bottle:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/drilling-unported-better-bottle-126141/

Be advised, the step bit, if you don't already have one, will cost you as much as a ported better bottle.. I installed the actual BB racking adapter using thier $3 installing tube. I recommend practicing on some other PET stuff (soda bottles, etc.) before actually doing it to your better bottle.

Quick Reply