Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Portable March Pump Set-Up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
flyangler18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Portable March Pump Set-Up

So, as I was conducting my brewcast this morning (thanks to all who tuned in!), I began thinking of ways to improve upon my current rig while still maintaining a high degree of portability. I like to brew in the basement, but I enjoy brewing outside as well when the weather is pleasant- and I like brewing in the company of others, so my rig needs to be compact and easily transported. As such, I haven't designed (and likely won't) any sort of brewstand. However, I've just upgraded my brew kettle to 15 gallons and will also be installing ball-valves on both my BK and my HLT (my previous BK- 10 gallons).

Now my quandry: I want to improve on my chilling setup, pumping wort through a CFC that I have but haven't yet tried using. This is my primary motivation for considering a pump; HLT to MLT to BK transfers are gravy as far as I'm concerned. I suppose it could be as simple as mounting the pump to a box of sorts to protect the housing and make it easy to move about.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Here's the first arrangement of my "brewing board". I'ts been reconfigured since I took this photo. The pump is now centered on the board as well as being tipped vertical. When not in use I can hang the board on the wall. I've replaced the very flexible tubing for the wort chiller with stiffer stuff that doesn't collapse (I was already using that for connecting all the valve fittings). Right now it is set up on one side of my double laundry sink. I heat my mash tun (insulated SS pot) and HLT with two induction cookers that fit on the board. I also added another Tee in front of the pump so I can switch between the mash tun and HLT.

I diassemble and assemble various bits for mashing versus wort chilling (shown). I can take a photo of the curent rig if you'd like.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I already had to haul the toolbox full of brewing gear out every time I brewed anyway...

March 809 Pump Housing - Lustreking Brewing

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Steve,

That is a brilliant idea! I think you've just solved my problem.

And it adheres to a core principle of my brewing philosophy- no 'single use' items!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just screwed my pump to a piece of plywood, and it works fine. Keeps it off the ground, and makes it sturdy enough to keep from tipping over. I think I'll extend this at some point to be a 5 sided box around the pump open on one end for the in/out connections. But for right now this setup works fine for me. As for the rest of my setup, it's done in the "nomad" fashion. All separate pieces, ready to move with me wherever I happen to brew. Also makes it much easier to store in my garage, so I can fit the car AND store the brew equipment in there.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Same deal here...

Next: Munich Helles v4
Fermenting: Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Mitis Saxon (brewed @ Earth - Bread + Brewery), Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Conan DIPA, Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 02-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #7
thorongil
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

These are some good ideas... I, too, am looking at building a portable system and it's great to see how others have tackled the problem. I plan to do a 10 gallon HERMS system based on The Pol's basic design, but not tied to a stand so that it can be broken down for storage and portability...
“Altogether 1420 in the Shire was a marvelous year... The Northfarthing barley was so fine that the beer of 1420 malt was long remembered and became a byword. Indeed a generation later one might hear an old gaffer in an inn, after a good pint of well-earned ale, put down his mug with a sigh: ‘Ah! that was a proper fourteen-twenty, that was!’”

- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King

Old 02-17-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Mounted mine vertically. The post swivels on the base for convenient hose positioning. Rubber feet on the bottom keep it out of any water on the floor. Pump head in the down position makes priming much easier. Handle on top for easy carrying.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is mine:
Nagging Hag Brewing Co.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
flyangler18
Recipes 

Pump ordered, it's on!

I'll be drilling my kettle for the sight gauges and bulkheads tomorrow night after I borrow a stepbit from Firebrewer.

Quick Reply