pond pump for chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I really want to tell the wife to buy me a pond pump for X-mas but I have to be able to give her an exact model # and a place to go to get a pump. I have a 50 ft immersion 1/2" copper chiller. I'm planning on putting the keggle on the ground so the pump only has to pump the water up a couple of feet. Any help is appreciated

My 2 cents, being a guy that works on boats for a living. I would look at a bilge pump, it runs off of 12 volts and pushes more water though the lines. Just like any heat exchanger unit the more cold water you move though the more heat you remove. I look up at basspro shops this one as an example, cheaper, moves more water, and a better name brand.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...5_225000000_225003000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Simple set up for what you want it for.

12 Volts car battery
Long wire w/ terminal end to connect to car battery
12 v switch in the wire somewhere (a cheap toggle would work good)
Flexible hose w/ hose clamp
Ice bath with pump in the bottom.

The more money you spend the more water you can push though, I have a couple on my boat that are the size of my fist, that (say they) will pump 3700 GPH (Gallons Per Hour)
Shawn Hines

My 2 cents, being a guy that works on boats for a living. I would look at a bilge pump, it runs off of 12 volts and pushes more water though the lines. Just like any heat exchanger unit the more cold water you move though the more heat you remove. I look up at basspro shops this one as an example, cheaper, moves more water, and a better name brand.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...5_225000000_225003000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Any idea what the current draw is on that pump?

I use the 190gph submersible clean water pump from Harbor Freight, and it chills my wort down in less than 25 minutes. I use regular tap water for the first 5 gallons, saving the effluent in my mash tun to clean it out and wash my implements, then I switch to the recirculating pump in a bucket of icewater. I keep the water cold by putting a few frozen blue ice packs as well as some 2-liter bottles filled with frozen water into the tub with the pump.

I may consider stepping up to a 1000gph bilge pump, if I can find a 12-volt converter. I like the thought of pumping water through my recirculator five times faster than it's going now. That would be much more efficient, I could perhaps cut my water use and chilling time by more than a third or so!

it depends on the head pressure rating of the pump. you've got 50' of coil, plus another 10' or so of hose connecting it.

Got a link for the pump?

Here's the one I use. In the winter it takes as little as 15 min to chill a 5.5 gallon batch below 70 degrees. Obviously, it depends on the temp of the water. It has worked well for 20+ batches.

Submersible pump

I picked up a 1/6 HP Little Giant utility pump that pushes 1000 GHP for $50 CDN works like a champ, and has the handy ability to drain the neighbors pool in the spring :)

Back