Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Poll: TriClover vs Quick Disconnects vs Camlocks

View Poll Results: QD's vs Cams vs Tris
Tri Clover 40 25.64%
Camlocks 85 54.49%
Quick Disconnects 31 19.87%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
Julohan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My QD's are stainless, though more expensive than tc's, not by much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't think you're giving the brass QD's enough credit. They are about $10 for a set of male/female. Granted they reduce the diameter to 3/8" but most people are using dip tubes made of 1/2" (which is 3/8 ID). Not to mention any additional flow beyond what you get with the brass QD's is almost useless to a homebrewer in the <15 gallon range.

Admittedly, I have some ugly baby syndrome going on here, and if I the SS camlocks were more well known when I bought QD's, I probably would have gone that route. But saying that the brass QD's don't make any sense when they are still the cheapest option that has been proven to work well isn't accurate.

IMHO YMMV ROFLBBQ ETC

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 11-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #13
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I didn't mean to knock the brass QD's... they just don't make sense to me. The SS cams are also $10 per set but have many more advantages IME.

I haven't dropped the coin on the SS QD's (ala MoreBeer) so I don't really know about those. They look nice.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #14
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I went with a combination of Tri's and Camloks.....mostly Tri's for bling factor and infrequent disassembly....but I got camloks for those areas that I KNOW will be frequently accessed, like on my plate chiller when backflushing.

I absolutely LOVE triclover stuff....but you can't beat the prices on cams, and they're 316 SS to boot.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #15
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cams came after I put all Tri's on my build. Brewing with it for the first time next weekend. We will see how they are for moving around. Worked with cam locks for years and never had a problem with one, just didn't think of them for my rig.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 11-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #16
redbs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I have all SS QD's on my equipment and I love them. They are fast, easy to use and are 1/2 inch all the way through, but not cheap. If I were to start over I would definitely consider the cam locks. They seem about as easy to use but cost a lot less.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #17
RiverCityBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

I use the stainless QDs from morebeer on my hot side and triclamps on the cold side... I also agree that I probably would have gone with camlocks on the hot side if I had known about them at the time I bought the QDs.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #18
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
Cam-lock - Not sanitary, easy to attach/detach, reliable seal, and inexpensive.

Tri-clover - Sanitary, not as easy to attach/detach, reliable seal, and expensive.

IMO, for cold-side fittings (e.g., fermenter), tri-clover is best. For hot-side fittings (i.e., brew rig), cam-lock is best.
I'm going to second Lamarguy here and add a few points. I have and use all three and they all have their good and bad points. I'm not voting cause there is no "all of the above" to vote on.

Tri- All my cold side stuff is tri-clamp, except my wort pump which gets heat sanitized anyways and has threads itself, so there's no getting around that. The best part of TC is that it's sexually androgynous. You don't have to worry about an Adam and Steve in there, or what not. This is a concern for me as I have in-line everything (Ox,Carbing,Filtering,blowoff,yeast harvesting, etc...). This is the only really sanitary disconnect too so I think better for fermenters and such. Also, the large internal diameter of a 1.5" tri-clamp makes for putting things inside like an in line diffusion stone (which you can do with pipe too, but that's not sanitary) or a sock screen gasket for, as in my case, second stage filtering pre plate chiller.

Cam-lock- As much as I wanted to just stick to one or two, I ended up just purchasing the cam locks for the hot side. They are way more useful for 'patch-bay' type applications where you need NPT anyways, like a plate chiller.

Quick Disconnects- I'm assuming you mean the CPC plastic ones. They are useful for things, although I am sending many of them back to McMaster.. For one, they are the only one of the three that comes in an elbow configuration (without adding a street elbow) and also a "thru-the-wall" mount configuration too, which I use for my water in. Also of note is that they can come with shut-off valve configs too (just like ball locks, basically). The bad thing is that they have a little cross thingy in the inside (really only there to push open the shut-off valves, but the non shutoffs come with them too... so you can intermingle). So if you are using them for mash recirc, they can trap grains. I'm replacing that particular one with the proflows camlocks.

D- All of the above.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #19
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Would anyone post product links for us noobes?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #20
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well as far as I know the SS Quick Disconnects are only available from MoreBeer (www.morebeer.com) and the PNs are H503A and H503B

The Tri-Clovers I was looking at I sourced from www.brewershardware.com but I think they are available elsewhere as well (I just happen to like BrewersHardware )

I haven't found suitable sets of SS Cams with MPT on both sides yet...but I'm still looking.

Quick Reply