Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > "polishing your keg" is more than a clever euphemism

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #471
milesvdustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

No it's the gator grit pads from lowes, they use the backing pad on my grinder. They aren't the sandpaper type ones. I may just take them to my buddies shop and soda blast them or glass bead them for the satin effect.

However I do appreciate the replies and advice, I think I have a fresh fine grit pad in the garage to give it a go with again. If not, at least they aren't covered in glue and stuff anymore.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #472
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Are you holding the pad at a sharp angle? Try running it flatter so that the center ring IS almost hitting your work. I think the edge of the pad is melting.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #473
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I hold it flat to where it won't let the center nut touch. The outer edge barely has any wear on it.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #474
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3177 Times on 1984 Posts
Likes Given: 2698

I definitely had a lot of the black marks, and I definitely removed it with paint thinner.

Did 3 of them. Man, it's a lot of work but worth it.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #475
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The only other thing I can think of is that the keg has a lot of old sticker adhesive residue that is building up on the pad. When I did two kegs, I razor blade scraped the stickers off with some wd40 as lubricant, wiped them down with acetone and a stainless chore boy to get all that crap off. I didn't get a single black mark on the kegs.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #476
Im_Lars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I had some black marking when I did mine but I would work from the left to the right . So I would be cleaning it off as I went. At the end I went over it with some mag wheel cleaner and it cleaned right up. You can see the black stuff in the picture below.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #477
allclene
Beer, What a beautiful thing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Lars View Post
I had some black marking when I did mine but I would work from the left to the right . So I would be cleaning it off as I went. At the end I went over it with some mag wheel cleaner and it cleaned right up. You can see the black stuff in the picture below.
I had marks in mine also found out if you heat it up too much it birnishes and makes the marks. I found that if you keep it moving and don't dwell on a spot too long even if spot isn't finished move on and come back to it in a few minutes to give it a chance to cool and you will keep the spots to a minimum. I found that if you leave spot there until finished with keg then you can take a clean pad apply light polishing compound on it and just light hit the spot it will vanish fast then wipe it with some xylene to get rid of residual burnished spot. I did all three of my kegs that way. I found the speed of the die grinder too quick to avoid them unless you push hard to slow it down then you burn out the grinder (I did that).
forumrunner_20130111_103945.png   forumrunner_20130111_104006.png   forumrunner_20130111_104039.png  

My Automated Rig Forum: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-...-input-348808/

Old 01-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #478
LittleCajunBrewery
Recipes 

I've looked through every page and didn't see this, so I have a great alternative to the gator stuff.

3M abrasive pads. Mostly used for cleaning up metals for welding. It works great when I am aluminum welding.

Link to pad holder:
https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?PNUM::1:UNDEF:X:048011-05674

Pads come in 3 or 4 different compounds. One of them is very fine. You can buy in bulk for cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=3m+abrasive+discs&sprefix=3m+abrasive+%2C aps%2C131&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A3m+abrasive+discs

Check it out.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #479
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCajunBrewery View Post
I've looked through every page and didn't see this, so I have a great alternative to the gator stuff.

3M abrasive pads. Mostly used for cleaning up metals for welding. It works great when I am aluminum welding.

Link to pad holder:
https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?PNUM::1:UNDEF:X:048011-05674

Pads come in 3 or 4 different compounds. One of them is very fine. You can buy in bulk for cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=3m+abrasive+discs&sprefix=3m+abrasive+%2C aps%2C131&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A3m+abrasive+discs

Check it out.
IME, you don't want to grind the keg, which will remove material. The Gator pads are [essentially] Scotch Brite pads that are disc shaped, with holes in the middle to mount to the backing pad. That will polish the keg, provided it's not marked to hell and back, getting the surface ready for buffing (if you go with that step). I've used the pads (regular Scotch Brite pads) to give a keg a brushed finish before. It's not super easy, since you have to press down on it rather hard, but it does give a nice finish to them.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #480
sa1126
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Lars View Post

Man that looks awesome!

I cleaned all the crap (sticker residue, etc) by spraying the keg with WD40 and letting it sit for an hour or so. I then hit it with a scour pad that was wet and just worked my way around. I did have to redo some heavy sticker residue parts but eventually it all came off. Then I wet sanded the kegs with 220 grit to get all the marks off.

I need to polish them now.

Quick Reply