Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > "polishing your keg" is more than a clever euphemism

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #461
milesvdustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I did one of my three. I did coarse, medium, and then fine. Hit it with #2 and then #5 sticks. It is still scratched up from the gator pads. Dunno what the deal is. I think I am going to get a 120 grit flap disc and go after it again then the fine pad. I kinda like the swirly brushed finish on them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #462
milesvdustin
Recipes 

So I am having insane troubles with this stuff. The gator pads immediately start leaving black marks, especially the fine grit one. No matter if its a brand new one or not. Wtf? I was going to stop at fine grit as I like the brushed finish. Any ideas?

A 40 grit diablo flap disc makes short work of the raised lettering as well. I followed it up with a 60, 80, 120, then the fine grit gator pad.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #463
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3694 Times on 2275 Posts
Likes Given: 3198

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesvdustin View Post
So I am having insane troubles with this stuff. The gator pads immediately start leaving black marks, especially the fine grit one. No matter if its a brand new one or not. Wtf? I was going to stop at fine grit as I like the brushed finish. Any ideas?

A 40 grit diablo flap disc makes short work of the raised lettering as well. I followed it up with a 60, 80, 120, then the fine grit gator pad.
Use paint thinner and a rag to remove the black stuff.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #464
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:

Never had that happen with mine. Maybe you're pushing them into the steel too hard.

I've had some build-up when using the buffing pads. Easy to remove once you apply more compound to the pad and go over that area again lightly.

IMO, proper tool use resolves 99% of the issues.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #465
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Whether I barely apply any pressure or apply a decent amount it still makes marks. Paint thinner, adhesive remover and brake cleaner won't touch em. Trust me, I know my way around a grinder! I'll try and post up some pictures tomorrow.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #466
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Whether I barely apply any pressure or apply a decent amount it still makes marks. Paint thinner, adhesive remover and brake cleaner won't touch em. Trust me, I know my way around a grinder! I'll try and post up some pictures tomorrow.
If the marks are like that, then there's something else going on. I didn't have that issue with either of the kegs I've polished up. I am thinking about doing a brushed finish on the next one though.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-08-2013, 02:58 AM   #467
milesvdustin
Recipes 

I wonder if its not bluing from heat or something like that.... But I constantly move the pad around to prevent heat build up.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #468
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I wonder if its not bluing from heat or something like that.... But I constantly move the pad around to prevent heat build up.
It would take a LOT of heat to cause that. Which would mean you're pressing far too hard on the keg with the disc. Without knowing how you're placing the pad against the keg side, it could be the center ring (securing the pad to the backing) that's hitting the keg causing the marks. Although I tend to think it's not.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 01-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #469
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Definitely not the center ring. And it is black marking with just the weight of the grinder and no input from me. I usually do the pressure so the grinder slows down a tiny bit, no more. I am resigned to just finishing the other kegs with the flap disc and trying this some other time with stuff from caswell plating. I'm not throwing any more money at gator grits.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #470
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Definitely not the center ring. And it is black marking with just the weight of the grinder and no input from me. I usually do the pressure so the grinder slows down a tiny bit, no more. I am resigned to just finishing the other kegs with the flap disc and trying this some other time with stuff from caswell plating. I'm not throwing any more money at gator grits.
Are these sandpaper type pads to the nylon type pads? I've used the nylon pads followed by buffing pads. If these are grit based (sandpaper) then that could be at least part of the issue.

Fermenting
K1:

Quick Reply