Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > plate chillers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
Henrythe9th
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default plate chillers

I just bought 2 20 plate SS exchangers, I was thinking of running them in series. Or for the plate chiller uses, will one do for 15gal batches.
right now I use a 30ft 1/2 copper IC with whirl pool and can cool in 25min or so (depends on water temp)

I was thinking kettle- pump- plate chiller-plate chiller-IC chiller return,, but was also thinking about putting in a dedicated whirlpool return to the kettle and forgo the IC chiller

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Just use one of them, it should work just fine if you recirculate with a pump and have decently cold ground water. Just remember to send the hose in the opposite direction of the wort!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I have a 20 plate and a 15 plate and run them in series. When my tap water is cool I run the cooling water in series as well, but in the summer or if I'm making a lager and my tap water is above 50 I'll pump ice water through the 15 plate chiller.

Works great for me. I like being able to pump the wort at full flow all the time, which I couldn't do with my CFC which was a major flow restriction.

Quick Reply