Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > plate chiller vs break material & sludge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
stevedasleeve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default plate chiller vs break material & sludge

I am ordering a lager kettle with a ball valve and am considering a plate chiller vs my immersion one. I don't tend to worry about break material and hop sludge getting in my carboy but perhaps I should if I get a plate chiller? Has anyone been able to use one without a hop sack or strainer of some sort? I'd be taking advantage of the free gravity I have in my neighborhood rather than using a pump...!

I am thinking the Shirron plate chiller for about $100.

Cheers!
Steve da sleeve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
Bluesssman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I absolutely love my Shirron, but I do use a hop sack. I just find it easier to use a hop sack when it comes to cleaning. But I have never had any problems with the Shirron. I do back flush it when I am done chilling and sanitize it with iodophor before use.

Gary

Old 12-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
darkstar79
Recipes 

since I purchased my plate chiller I have used hop sacks. Before that i would just throw them in the boil. So far, i have not noticed any difference as far as the utilization of the hops, but i also have only brewed three times with it.

After I'm finished with it I have been pouring some pbw in thr wort out side and letting it sit for a few minutes. Then I just place it sitting int he sink under the faucet and run hot waster through it for a few minutes. Before using it to chill I then throw it in a bucket of star san for a couple minutes. I also boiled it once after use and think thats overkill. This method has been working good for me so far.

On tap: Wet Hop IPA and Farmhouse Ale
Primary 1: Pumpkin Ale

Quick Reply