Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Which Plate Chiller Should I Choose ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
Sciyan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Which Plate Chiller Should I Choose ?

Hi

I'm about to add a plate chiller to my brewing system, but I don't know which one to choose. Maybe some of you already have one and have comments about it.

Here my 4 choices :

They look all good... can't decide...

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 03:29 AM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I'd skip Blichman and figure out the others on price as they are all similar if not the same.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

I have the 30 Duda with mounting studs. A lot of HBS buy duda chillers and resell them.

I wanted the 40 and they didn't get the ones with mounting studs in time, so I got the 30 in stead. I'm happier with it actually, since where I have it, the 40 would be more in the way.

There are helpful files on the dudadiesel site to help you with a gravity drain situation if that's what you're doing. If you want to chill fast and do a gravity drain, then you'll need a larger chiller and faster and colder water.

I do a 15 gal recirculating plate chill (which I could find no help on calculating what to expect for times). At 5 GPM for both wort and 55* water, I'm getting around 12 minutes from 212 to pitch for the whole volume. Wort return arm positioning makes the difference.

For what you pay for a Blichmann, you could get a monster chiller from duda. The blick is nice though.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
skylor60
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just got a 40 plate from kegcowboy prices seem right there as they have a 5% coupon as well

Old 05-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
Sarrsipius
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have the one you list from homebrewstuff and couldn't be happier. I chill 10 gallons from boiling to 65deg in about 10 minutes. If I run a pre chiller in an ice bath on the chilling water I can do it in 5 or 6 minutes in mid August.

It should be mentioned that I use a large hop bag during the boil and also have tri clamp fittings. On the fitting for the wort in port I use a 1/8in mesh screen gasket to catch any large hop leaves or other stuff before it gets into the chiller. I think this helps avoid any buildup of debris over time. I think it's important to avoid running large amounts of break material or hops through a plate chiller to avoid clogging. But your miliage may vary.

Conical : bohemian pils
Keg 1: Brown Ale__Keg 2: Hellas
Keg 3: Hellas__Keg 4: air
Keg 5: AIR 6: Edworts Apflewien

My HERMS rig

Old 05-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
cwilliams108
Recipes 

I had the 30 plate chiller from Duda on my rig and *for me* it didn't cool to pitching temps quick enough. So I upgraded to Duda's B3-23A 50 plate chiller which has not only 20 more plates but is about twice as long. By the numbers Duda gives, it's almost 3 times the surface area as compared to the 30. I was able to run 212F-68F without throttling the flow of wort on the first brew through it. This was important to me as even throttling the flow on the 30 I had to recirc. to hit pitching temps.

"get on with livin', or get on with dyin'" Red, The Shawshank Redemption

Old 05-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
Julohan

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had the mashmasters chill out. Worked very well, cooled better than my current duda. I then ruined the chillout (user error). The only thing that I did not like about the chillout was the barb fittings. I would had rather had threaded fittings like my duda has now for quick-disconnects.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
rmullins

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just ordered this one the other night

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingc...e-Chiller.html

comes with the backflush adapter

Old 05-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #9
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I can't comment on which is best, as I've only owned one (and no doubt, most people are in the same boat), so all I can say is that my Blichmann works fantastically. Also comes with a useful mounting bracket, and was a cinch to put my quick disconnect fittings on.

I made my own back-flush hose though. It's cheaper and far more customizable that way, working in whatever configuration you want instead of just their fittings. For instance, I use a 5-foot hose with a female garden hose adapter on one end, and a quick disconnect on the other. The length and fitting configuration allows me to connect it straight to a wort port and bypass the entire water part of the chiller, while also still being able to attach it from the water-out to both the wort-in and wort-out. It's also the same hose I use to fill my HLT, so technically it was a non-cost. Although to fill the HLT, I guess many people fill it from the top without needing any fittings on the HLT side, but in that case, sticking a fitting on that hose is still much cheaper AND better than buying their 18" backflush hose.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:02 AM   #10
Julohan

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmullins View Post
I just ordered this one the other night

http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingc...e-Chiller.html