Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plate chiller plumbing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
hennja2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plate chiller plumbing

I'm a new owner of a 30 plate chiller, and I'm getting ready to attach it.

I'll have a setup that I dissasemble between brews. I was planning cam locks for the system. I am also planning a T connector with a dial thermometer on the wort out of the plate chiller.

My question is how to plumb the thermometer? Should I go with male cam on plate, then female cam attached to T and thermometer? Any pics or tips? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
mountainman13
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have a similar setup that I attach to my pump to monitor the temp of wort coming out of my mash tun. Just get a 1/2 in tee, a female camlock w/male npt(B style), and male/male camlock(F style), and a thermometer. I run camlocks on everything, and couldn't be happier. It's all from Bargainfittings.com, one of the best places I've ever done business with.

image-1712424080.jpg  

Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 AM   #3
yorkbrew
Recipes 

I've been considering setting up something similar. My only reservation is making sure the cold side is properly sanitized. I'm probably being overly paranoid but one of my homebrew buddies only uses tri-clovers on the cold side of his process. Camlocks seem like they would be sanitized easily but...

Old 12-20-2011, 04:35 AM   #4
TomRep
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm doing something similar. Parts are ordered and I should be able to show pictures Thursday night or Friday. Basically I'm using camlocks for all my connections. I, unlike most, am using the male part of the camlocks on my hoses. I am putting the female ends onto the chiller so I can connect my hoses directly for flushing out the chiller. For my temperature and O2 manifold, I am putting a male end on the top (part that connects to the chiller) and a female end where the hose will connect. I'm not using a dial thermometer for my temperature, so I will be able to remove the whole manifold and soak it in StarSan if I feel the need.
Tom

Abandoned Logic Brewing

Old 12-20-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
yorkbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRep View Post
I'm doing something similar. Parts are ordered and I should be able to show pictures Thursday night or Friday. Basically I'm using camlocks for all my connections. I, unlike most, am using the male part of the camlocks on my hoses. I am putting the female ends onto the chiller so I can connect my hoses directly for flushing out the chiller. For my temperature and O2 manifold, I am putting a male end on the top (part that connects to the chiller) and a female end where the hose will connect. I'm not using a dial thermometer for my temperature, so I will be able to remove the whole manifold and soak it in StarSan if I feel the need.
Tom
That's a good point, I didn't consider the difficulties of sanitizing with the thermometer attached to the chiller. I've already got my lines outfitted with female disconnects. I think I'll opt for removing the thermometer each brew to keep my system consistent.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
mountainman13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkbrew View Post
That's a good point, I didn't consider the difficulties of sanitizing with the thermometer attached to the chiller. I've already got my lines outfitted with female disconnects. I think I'll opt for removing the thermometer each brew to keep my system consistent.
I just throw the whole thing in Star San, thermometer and all. I've never had a problem.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
AussieBrewerInColorado
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I do 10 gallon batches and I used to fill up a carboy with PBW, run it through the wort in on plate chiller, then wort out to the other carboy. Repeat this through the wort out to wort in to sink with the full carboy. Do a bit of a rinse and then do the same with starsan. Now i just installed camlock fittings on my system and am not quite sure how to about cleaning/sanitizing it. Last night i just sprayed starsan from a spray bottle into the wort in camlock fitting until it came out the otherside, repeated the other way. Really want to get a thermometer in it as i was off pitching temp last night. Is that just a blichman type 1/2" thermometer going into the T? Cheers.

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb

The Keg Ran Out Club (KROC)
Broomfield, Colorado
http://www.kroc.org/

Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
mountainman13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieBrewerInColorado View Post
I do 10 gallon batches and I used to fill up a carboy with PBW, run it through the wort in on plate chiller, then wort out to the other carboy. Repeat this through the wort out to wort in to sink with the full carboy. Do a bit of a rinse and then do the same with starsan. Now i just installed camlock fittings on my system and am not quite sure how to about cleaning/sanitizing it. Last night i just sprayed starsan from a spray bottle into the wort in camlock fitting until it came out the otherside, repeated the other way. Really want to get a thermometer in it as i was off pitching temp last night. Is that just a blichman type 1/2" thermometer going into the T? Cheers.
Pretty much. I think this one is actually a Miljoco from Bargainfittings, but it is the same thing as the Blichman I have in my HLT

Old 01-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
AussieBrewerInColorado
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thanks. Work good for you? Another member changed out theirs for a stick on one because it was too sensitive.

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb

The Keg Ran Out Club (KROC)
Broomfield, Colorado
http://www.kroc.org/

Old 01-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
mountainman13
Recipes 

It is very sensitive and almost instant in it's readings, but I don't see how that could be a detractor in any way.

Quick Reply