Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plate chiller in/out

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Bru
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Plate chiller in/out

I recently aquired a plate chiller from Dudadiesel.
The four connectors are not labelled at all, am I correct to assume that flow can be in any direction and any pair can be used for either water or wort ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Yes, of course you obviously want the flow of wort vs. water to be opposite (counter) to each other.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Bru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks.
BTW - for anyone debating getting a plate chiller - this thing has changed my life !

Old 06-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
nate456789
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have a 30 plate on the way. Never used one. Any advice? I am really concerned about cleaning it.
Also only use pellet hops. I am worried about clogging. How do you unclog it if it does?
Thanks

Kegged: Falconer's APA, Honey Brown Ale, Guinness Draught

Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I used my Chillhog 4000 for the first time with my last batch. I use hop bags, so i get very little trub from the kettle to fermenter. For the connections on the chiller, one set should be garden hose size, the others 1/2" pipe thread. Pretty easy to tell which to use for each. As mentioned have the chilling water flow opposite of the wort flow. I would also advise NOT touching the wort in side with bare hands.

I'm getting ready to get a pump for my setup. It should help feed the chiller better from my Blichmann kettle, especially once the level gets below the valve body. I plan to use QDs on it, to make it a bit easier. Plus it will match what i have from the kettle to the chiller.

If you don't use hop bags, you might want to install a screen inside the kettle.

for cleaning it aftwr use, backflush under full hose pressure. You can also pump PBW through it and then StarSan. Of course, with a pump, you can run boiling wort through it ~5 minutes from flame off to sanitize it. your choice there. Both methods will work, I've heard that some prefer the hot wort method since it will kill anyting still inside the chiller.

As always RDWHAHB

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Bru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I also use a hop bag (paint strainer) and havn't had any clogging issues. I stopped using Irish Moss some time back as Ive found my beers clear completely with gelatine but I suspect Irish Moss may cause some cloggin issues.
There have been threads on HBT of plate chillers becoming unusable after becoming completely clogged - from hops or otherwise.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just what SAMC said. Here is pic of mine. You just make out the labels i wrote in sharpie. Wort in comes in from right 90deg cam lock. Wort out is left 90deg camlock. Water in is the top left and water out is top right.

I use 200 micron nylon filter bag from duda diesel for my hop bag. I recirc wort through chiller last 15 minutes of boil. after boil I back flush with hose and then bake in oven for 20 minutes or so.

On Tap: Bee Cave Robust Porter
On Tap: Bee Cave OktoberFest
On Tap: Bee Cave Kolsch
Primary: None
Up next: ????

Old 06-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
nate456789
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytoptim View Post
Just what SAMC said. Here is pic of mine. You just make out the labels i wrote in sharpie. Wort in comes in from right 90deg cam lock. Wort out is left 90deg camlock. Water in is the top left and water out is top right.

I use 200 micron nylon filter bag from duda diesel for my hop bag. I recirc wort through chiller last 15 minutes of boil. after boil I back flush with hose and then bake in oven for 20 minutes or so.
What Temp do you bake it? What does that get you? If the sugars are still in the plate, wouldn't it still grow nasty stuff? I bought my plate because I thought it might cut down on brew time. It takes about 40 Min for me to chill with my IC. But if I chill in 10 with my plate but spend 30 min cleaning then I really haven't gained anything. Plus now I have cold break in my Fermenter and a screen to clean in my kettle.
Am I wrong? Are they worth the trouble?
Kegged: Falconer's APA, Honey Brown Ale, Guinness Draught

Old 06-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
samc
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If you can keep the hop particles out of the chiller then clean up isn't a big deal. If they get stuck inside it takes a lot of effort to clean it out. I don't see the point of a 20 minute bake. I ran mine in the clean cycle of the oven and it turned everything to ash, not sure that is a good long term cleaning method however.

I had hop debris stuck in my chiller and I can't begin to remember how many different chemicals and flushes with boiling water I did before it finally stopped flushing bits of old hops.

I use mine because I have it, not sure if it is the best way to go.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
rockytoptim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have never worried about putting cold break into my fermenter as it all falls to the bottom anyway. I usually bake at 300 - 320 just to make sure everything inside is sanitized. The way i see it is that if it takes you 40 minutes to chill with your IC and I can do in 10 minutes. I am ahead on brew time. the 30 minutes its baking in the oven you can be doing other things its not like I am scrubbing it for 30 minutes. My hop bag I just spray off then run through the dishwasher with all my other brewing stuff.

On Tap: Bee Cave Robust Porter
On Tap: Bee Cave OktoberFest
On Tap: Bee Cave Kolsch
Primary: None
Up next: ????

Quick Reply