Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plate Chiller or Immersion?????
View Poll Results: Plate Chiller or Immersion>>>
Plate Chiller 31 43.06%
Immersion Chiller 41 56.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
tmb59181
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Plate Chiller or Immersion?????

Hello everybody!

I have been brewing for a while now and am upgrading to a cheap version of an all grain system. I have gotten by without having a wort chiller for a while now, but I feel that it is necessary for me to improve my brewing. I have about 120 ish to spend and have been debating what type to buy. If i buy a plate chiller I will most likely go with the Shirron plate chiller. If i go with the immersion, I will go with one for around 100 dollars. Which one is a better overall product for for varying circumstances? Also is it possible to use a whirlpool technique with a plate chiller or is that only plausible with a immersion chiller and a submersible pump? Please let me know you input!

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I like the simplicity of the immersion chillers

Bottled: Janet's Brown, Session Dry Stout, Yellow Fly Cream Ale

Gallons Brewed In 2011-40

Old 10-24-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would definitely go with a platechiller.. As far as I know just about everybody who has made the switch from an immersion to a plate comments on how much faster they were able to chill. As for the whirlpool, I can't answer to that as I don't use the whirlpool technique. I would think that the old "stainless steel scrubbie over the end of the racking cane" trick would work to filter out your hops.

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 10-24-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
studmonk3y
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jamil would vote for the immersion chiller because he argues chilling the entire volume of wort at once enables you to lock in the flavors and aroma of your late addition hops better. If you make a IC with 50ft of 1/2" copper you have so much surface area it would probably compare pretty well with a plate chiller in terms of speed (especially if you combined it with a submersible pump you can switch to ice water at the end). If you DIY you can easily make one for under $100. That being said I've never used a plate chiller and I'm currently happy with "no-chill."

Old 10-24-2010, 04:43 AM   #5
prosper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Immersion. With appropriate agitation (whirlpool) it's unbelievably fast and cost effective. Plus it's far more sanitary - it's easy to clean, and it self-sanitizes in the boiling wort. Plate chillers are much more finicky to keep clean, keep from getting clogged, keep sanitized, etc. The total cost of ownership from a 'your time' perspective weighs in favour of the immersion chiller.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:51 AM   #6
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosper View Post
Immersion. With appropriate agitation (whirlpool) it's unbelievably fast and cost effective. Plus it's far more sanitary - it's easy to clean, and it self-sanitizes in the boiling wort. Plate chillers are much more finicky to keep clean, keep from getting clogged, keep sanitized, etc. The total cost of ownership from a 'your time' perspective weighs in favour of the immersion chiller.
Yep. Using the whirlpool/immersion chiller with an ice water recirc i get from boil to 60F in like 15 minutes.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I love my B3 superchiller (50' 1/2" IC).....but just purchased a 40 plate chiller for $79 shipped. If it's terrible I think I can make my money back.....but I doubt I'll want to get rid of it. I have an IC, CFC, and now a plate....the reason why I got it was the form factor.....it just sits there in such a nice neat package....very important on a brew rig where space is precious.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
Elshauno
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

If you have a pump or plan on getting one I believe the Plate is the way to go. Boil it for 20 minutes before each use and backflush every time. Provided you have a pump its the way to go. I am currently doing gravity and its decent but I hooked my chiller to a friends pump and it literally took 4 minutes to get it to 70. Whatever you decide Good luck!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

I am now unsatisfied with my immersion chiller. It's a 3/8" stainless 50' coil for 15 gallon batches. Takes me more than 45 minutes to chill to pitching even with recircing and/or stirring the hell out of it to make my own rigorous whirlpool (uuhhg, 45 mins). So, I'm getting a plate and pump. I'll just use my IC for starters (since it fits so nicely into my stockpot).

One thing is that the point about the Jamil-o-chiller being better is assuming you are not doing a recirculation for plate chilling. I'm making a Jamil-o-plate and recircing back into the boil kettle. From my calculations it should take around 7 minutes to chill the whole 15 gal batch, all at once.

Another plus for the plate: Less gear in the boil kettle to lift out dirty and dripping with hop sludge (I'm an indoor brewer, it's important). I'm going to mount my plate directly over my HLT so I can just clean post chill with hot liquor (created during chilling).

There is a reason that pro brewers all use plates to chill... size of batch. It makes more and more sense to do a plate chiller for larger than 5 gallon batches, IMO. I bet I can clean the plate in less than half the time I would still be stirring the IC.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
prosper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

use a pump to whirlpool, and set-and-forget while you clean up and put away your gear, or sanitize a carboy. Or build a stir rig with some lumber, a motor and a stir spoon to whirlpool.
There are always a million tasks to be done in the few minutes that it takes to chill your wort (12 gallon batches only take me 10 or maybe 15 minutes to chill).

Quick Reply